Ballard display

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Ballard display

Post by marlinman93 »

This isn't mine (wish it was!) but a friend's display at our annual OAC show last weekend. Ballards from a 1 1/2 to a #5 1/2 Montana, including a Union Hill with a Pope barrel, buttplate and sight, and a couple of factory engraved #3's!

Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Re: Ballard display

Post by Sure-Shot »

Thanks for sharing. I have got to make it down there for one of those shows.
GBOT, GBUSA
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

You wont regret it! We had several guys from Western Wa. Arms Collectors here, and all said they will return next year.
Notice the second gun down in the bottom picture? It's a rare pistol gripped Pacific that was shown in Dutcher's book. The nickeled gun is a #2, and the one in back in the bottom picture is the Montana. Notice the single trigger on the "Pacific"? It's also a very rare 4 1/4, a Pacific with single trigger!
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

WOW! That 4 1/4 is the one that caught my eye but I wouldn't complain if I had the pistol grip #5 either. Thanks for making me drool!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Hunt4em wrote:WOW! That 4 1/4 is the one that caught my eye but I wouldn't complain if I had the pistol grip #5 either. Thanks for making me drool!
I don't think my friend has a single Ballard that isn't super rare for one reason or another!
I picked up this litle gal at the show Sat. morning:
#3F with special order cheekpiece and checkering, plus upgraded wood. It's also got a pretty rare steel Farrow style Ballard buttplate. Most of these were plated brass.

Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

Val,
Congrates on a sweet find! I would like to have a 3F someday, but to find one with the cheek piece and not to mention the sites, I can only dream. :mrgreen: I hope it shoots as good as she looks! I'm kind of partial to the 22's as there's none of that some times frustrating reloading. If one brand don't shoot good, try the next. That NW must be loaded with Ballards or that magnet just draws them your way because I've only seen one in the last 6 gunshows I've been to in these parts. Anyway if that cheek piece rattles your jaw teeth from the recoil, I would gladly take it off your hands! :lol:
John
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks John! I'll keep that in mind. I'm pretty sensitive to recoil, so hopefully I wont have to chop that cheekpiece off to make it fit me! :D