Yet another #2 38-55 timebomb

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Yet another #2 38-55 timebomb

Post by Jim D »

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =102955627

This gal had this listed before, but it was not listed as a #2, and I won the auction after I had assurances from her that it was a forged receiver. She told me that her late husband had put the barrel on and that he knew his Ballards and would NEVER do something unsafe. Before I sent a check she had it checked by a gunsmith who confirmed it was a cast receiver.
She told me that it was ok though because the receiver was nickle steel! I informed her that it was not, and that it would be very dangerous for someone to shoot it. Well it's back on the auction block again. At least this time it's listed as a #2 to give the suckers an even chance. No mention of the cast receiver, or the danger. I guess some folks just don't care if someone is going to get hurt or killed. Just as long as they make a buck. :(

-jim
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Yet another #2 38-55 timebomb

Post by marlinman93 »

That's sad, but good that you found out before sending funds. I saw that one last time, and again now, and wondered how many novice Ballard afficianados would understand what they were buying when she listed it as a #2 action, but not mention it's cast. There's some pretty saavy gun owners and shooters who still insist to me that this is an accpetable swap! I've stopped arguing with them, and hope they don't get hurt when it goes!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!