#3 Gallery

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Re: #3 Gallery

Post by Hunt4em »

Jdad,
Thanks for info, I expected a back log. When someone comes so highly recommended, you should expect them to be busy! What did you have done and are you satisfied?

Val,
I was going to try and call John before I sent the #5 to discuss what all it needs done to bring it back to life. The threads for the lever screw are buggered, the half cock notch is worn, the breech block tail is worn causing too much head space and the barrel needs relined. Not to mention the work needed to fix the set triggers. I wish I would of waited for the Tulsa gun show before I bought this pile of parts because I came across a #5 38-55 in good shape. I passed it up for a few isles only to return and find it gone. I knew better and thats why I was already carrying the #3 because I knew it would be gone if I hesitated. This maybe a long drawn out project but I know it will be worth the wait.

Thanks, John
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Good luck John! I'm positive John Taylor can fix it if it's at all possible. Doesn't sound like any really huge issues. You'll have to look long and hard to find anyone disatisfied with John's work, and maybe even never find anyone! :wink:
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
jdad
Beginner

Post by jdad »

John,
I sent a Model 37 pump to him, to just have a barrel swap done. It was a factory barrel, but it still had to be head spaced and a little shaved off, recrowned the muzzle to remove a burr he found, replaced a worn hammer return spring that he found while he was testing for function, and replaced the wrong tang screw with the correct one.

My bill was $85 and that included USPS Priority Mail back to me.

David
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

Jdad,
Thanks for the update. I've been without power for a few days since the tornado that past by a mile south of my house, so I'm just now catching up on my computer rituals. Sounds like John might find some things I've over looked or just don't know about since I'm new to these Ballards. All that work he done to your rifle for only $85, what a bargin!

Thanks, John