Ballard 6 1/2 Rigby

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

palabra
Pro-Marksman

Ballard 6 1/2 Rigby

Post by palabra »

I have a Ballard 6 1/2 Rigby. It has been modified to a 22 by CC Johnson as marked on the barrel. All the serial numbers match with the exception of the stock. When I remove the stock, I find that it has been hollowed out significantly, I suspect to lighten the rifle. As I don't have another Ballard, I suspect the stock should be numbered near the wrist. Has anyone ever seen a Ballard stock lightened by hollowing it out? As the butt plate serial number matches and fits the buttstock so well, I am assuming it to be the original wood but have no way to determine this. What do you think? Thanks, Jerry
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Ballard 6 1/2 Rigby

Post by marlinman93 »

Ballard buttstocks were numbered, but you'll need to check the mating area where it meets the receiver. They generally didn't stamp the entire number, just 4-5 digits. CC Johnson records are available through his grandson, so he could tell you some history of what CC did to your gun, and when. He can be contacted at the ASSRA forum web site, or email me and I'll try to put you in touch.-Vall
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
palabra
Pro-Marksman

Post by palabra »

I would like very much to contact the Grandson of CC Johnson. I would appreciate the contact information. My email address is palabra@hughes.net. Thanks, Jerry in TN
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Jerry,
If you go to the ASSRA web site and join, you can do a search for user j_c_johson (CC Johnson's grandson) and then you can PM or email him through the site. He welcomes either, and gladly gives the data you desire. I go by "marlinguy" at the ASSSRA forum. -Vall
http://www.assra.com
j_c_johnson
Last edited by marlinman93 on Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
palabra
Pro-Marksman

Post by palabra »

Thanks for the tip Marlinman93. I am now a member of ASSRA and I sent an email to the son of CC Johnson. I am looking forward to hearing back from him in the future. I appreciate your help. Regards, Jerry