Ballard #3 presentation rifle.

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Ballard #3 presentation rifle.

Post by marlinman93 »

Here's one I recently came across that has some neat history. It was given to a regular US Army advisor at the end of the Spanish American War, by the group of Maine Volunteer Militia that served under him, when they mustered out. It is inscribed on a silver inlaid plaque, "Presented to Lieut. Charles L. Phillips, by the Hamlin Rifles, Co.G, 2nd. Regt., M.V.M." It came with a letter and picture from the family.
I traced 1st Lt Phillips as an 1881 graduate of West Point, 13th in his class, who went on to become a General in th US Army 4th Artillery.
Thought you history buffs might enjoy this.

Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Re: Ballard #3 presentation rifle.

Post by Sure-Shot »

That is a great find. Surprising the insert has remained readable. Your magnet is obviously still working well.
GBOT, GBUSA
KBeck
Beginner

Post by KBeck »

That is a wonderful little piece of history, how fortunate you are Phillips family even parted with it.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Actually the General parted with it in the 1930's. He gave it to his friend's son. The son went off to war in WWII, and never came home. The father took care of the gun, and when he died the son's sister got the Ballard. She recently died, and her daughter is the one who sold it now. Guess she didn't have any attraction to it's history.
Charles L Phillips was born in Illinois, and appointed to West Point from Maine. He graduated as a 2nd Lt in 1881, then rose to 1st Lt in 1887, in 1899 at the end of the Span-Am War he was promoted to Capt., in 1906 to Major, by WWI he was a Lt. Col, and at War's end a full Colonel. Sometime in the 1920's he was promoted to General. I am sending for his military records through the National Archives, but since I'm not a relative I can't get them online. Need to pay a fee for a search.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!