No. 6-1/2 Ballard Rigby ... what caliber?

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

JoJoDo
Beginner

No. 6-1/2 Ballard Rigby ... what caliber?

Post by JoJoDo »

Hello All,

I am new to this sight. I just purchased a Ballard No. 6-1/2 with a 28" Rigby barrel. The rifle is in very good overall condition with a very good bore. It is serial number 264X. I have looked at a few books but am confused if the caliber is .40-63? ... or .40-65? There are no caliber markings on the barrel or under the forearm. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also if anyone knows where I can find a few original cartridges for display that would be helpful too. I would like to get some new brass, moulde, dies etc and have this at the range in the Spring. Thank you, Joe

Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Re: No. 6-1/2 Ballard Rigby ... what caliber?

Post by Jim D »

JoJoDo,

Do a Cerro-Safe casting of the chamber. It is the best way to determine what you have. Cerro-Safe is available from Brownells.com. Check it out and let me know if you need help.

-jim
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Joe;

According to John Dutcher in his Ballard book, on pages 308 & 309, the .40-65 and .40-63 Ballard Everlasting cartridge both measure 2 3/8 inches in length. Both cartridges were used in the 6 1/2 Rigby Ballard rifles.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
JoJoDo
Beginner

Post by JoJoDo »

Thank you guys. I may have to rely on a chamber cast. Can anyone tell me how to post photos please?
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Host them online in a place such as Photobucket, which has a free version. Once hosted click on the link that starts [img]urlherenospaces[/img] then paste it in your post.
GBOT, GBUSA
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

The .40-65 Everlasting is the most common caliber found in the 6 1/2 Rigby, but as JimD said, you should really chamber cast it before spending any money on reloading supplies. You should also slug the bore to see hat size bullet it will need.-Vall
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!