I think its a Ballard

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Goodiejr
Beginner

I think its a Ballard

Post by Goodiejr »

At a gun show this weekend in Florida I think I bought a Ballard minus the stock. The top of the barrel it has a No 44 and there is a serial number of 142 on the barrel and matching on the receiver. There is no identification at all on the receiver I used a jewelers magnifing glass on each side of the receiver There is no trace of any writing at all . It has a 28 3/8 round barrel. The lever folds back to the trigger with a small hole that attaches to a small pin. If any body can assist in the identification I would greatly appreciate it.

Charles G.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

The key here is the "No. 44" on top of the barrel. It most likely is a Ballard, but it also is most likely not a Marlin Ballard. Especially since there are no frame markings.
Most likely your gun is a pre Marlin Ballard, and should also have the hand ejector system under the barrel that was used by most pre-Marlin Ballards.
There were numrous makers of these earlier Ballards, and almost all were in rimfire or rimfire/percussion chamberings. Your's should be in .44 rimfire.
The previous makers are:
Ball & Williams
Dwight Chapin & Co.
R. Ball & Co.
Merrimack
Brown

The first three all had top and bottom tangs on the receivers, so if your's has these tangs it's one of them. The last two didn't have the tangs, and were attached like Marlin Ballards with a thrubolt and a single round tang inside the buttstock.
All were marked either on the receiver, or the barrel with maker's name, but it's always possible something slipped by. A picture might help me assist you, if you want to send a few my way.-Vall
marlinguy@juno.com
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Here's a Merrimack that's on Gunbroker. Notice the extractor located underneath the forearm.

Goodiejr
Beginner

response to marlinman

Post by Goodiejr »

I will be happy to send pics but this is not my month for electronics: Last week Big screen TV blew up then my year old digital camera blew up. As soon as I get a new one i will send pics.
The gun is similar to the pic you sent except mine does not have the screw in the hammer. It does have a hand ejector system and it has the thrubolt and sing round tang inside buttstock. I looked over the barrel and receiver again no markings if it was just marked Brown on barrel i guess it might have worn down. Is a 28"+ barrel length the norm for ballards ?
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

If you can check your local library or book store there is an excellent book on Ballard's called Ballard The Great American Single Shot Rifle by John T. Dutcher. Loads of information and pictures of Ballards. If you decide to collect them then it is a must have book.
GBOT, GBUSA
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

The pre-Marlin Ballards often had 28" barrels, but like all early guns they could be ordered in just about any length. Most of these early Ballards had even shorter barrels at 24"-26" being more common.
Of course if it was a musket once the barrel could have been even longer than 28".
I would strogly ditto Sure Shot's advice on John Dutcher's book! I feel it's the best treatise on Ballards ever done, and ranks as one of the finest gun books ever produced too!-Vall