Marlin Ballard 32-40

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

wilsgj
Beginner

Marlin Ballard 32-40

Post by wilsgj »

Identify WHICH Marlin Ballard rifle I have
32 inch barrel, 32-40 cal. Rocky Mt sights, schuetzen type stock, double triggers, no checkering but beautiful wood, no evidence of a tang sight sight ever being installed. Beautiful condition.
podufa
Beginner

Marlin Ballard 32-40

Post by podufa »

A picture would help. What is the lever ? What is the writing on the left side of the receiver?
wilsgj
Beginner

Re: Marlin Ballard 32-40

Post by wilsgj »

podufa wrote:A picture would help. What is the lever ? What is the writing on the left side of the receiver?
I have an 1885 copy of Marlin's catalog and A Guide to the Ballard Breechloader by George J.Layman. The writingon the left side of the receiver is: Marlin Firearms Company, New Haven Ct U.S.A; Ballards Patient Nov 5, 1861. The lever is the full finger or later type.Thanks for the comeback
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Sounds like a Union Hill #8, ordered without checkering, or possibly stocks were refinished, or replaced. Ballards could be ordered with any option the shooter wanted, so omitting the checkering was easy.
You can pull the throughbolt and see if the stock numbers to the receiver. It should be stamped on the edge of the stock that mates to the receiver with the same serial number.
Pictures would really help, as lots of Ballards were reworked over the years! Check page 104-108 of Layman's book.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Wilsgj;

Is the barrel full octagon or half octagon? This could be a Number 10 Schuetzen Junion too. There is a picture of one without checking on page 280 of John Dutcher's book, Ballard, the Great American Single Shot Rifle.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes, it could be a #10 also, especially if the 32" barrel is a heavy one, and the frame is not rebated.
wilsgj
Beginner

Post by wilsgj »

marlinman93 wrote:Sounds like a Union Hill #8, ordered without checkering, or possibly stocks were refinished, or replaced. Ballards could be ordered with any option the shooter wanted, so omitting the checkering was easy.
You can pull the throughbolt and see if the stock numbers to the receiver. It should be stamped on the edge of the stock that mates to the receiver with the same serial number.
Pictures would really help, as lots of Ballards were reworked over the years! Check page 104-108 of Layman's book.
I couldn't figure out how to get the pictures on the site. I can email them to interested parties. I removed the stock and the serial no. on the stock and butt mplate match the rifle.
wilsgj
Beginner

Post by wilsgj »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote:Wilsgj;

Is the barrel full octagon or half octagon? This could be a Number 10 Schuetzen Junion too. There is a picture of one without checking on page 280 of John Dutcher's book, Ballard, the Great American Single Shot Rifle.
The barrel is half octagon,I remeasured and the length is 32".
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I'd enjoy seeing pictures of your Ballard!-Vall
marlinguy@juno.com
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

After viewing pictures of wisgj's Ballard, it appears to be a Union Hill. The barrel is a special order long one, but it is not the heavy barrel of a #10, as it has the "tulip" at the juncture with the receiver. This would indicate it is a lightweight barrel, as used on #8 Union Hill model.
It also appears to have been ordered sans the checkering that was common to Union Hills, as it has smooth stocks.
Just thought I'd let you guys know how this worked out.-Vall
schlicter
Beginner

32-40 ballard

Post by schlicter »

i should be able to help with pictures. i have the dutcher book and have been spending a lot of time with it lately. vic