#5 Pacific

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

#5 Pacific

Post by Hunt4em »

I would like anyone's opinion on this rifle. It can be viewed at http://armsbid.com lot #448. I have handled this gun personally and the description is pretty accurate other than not mentioning the lever droop. They only charge 10% buyers premium! :roll: I think I could choke that down. I was reading the letters in my Ballard book and the statements the old timers made just intrigued me. "That gun was a terror to shoot". "The
.40-85 was a rifle that killed at both ends". Sounds like fun! :wink:
I'm not sure I could get any accuracy out of .444 brass, but I'm sure I could find some .40-85 or .40-90 brass. I already found one paper patched round on Gunbroker!

Thanks, John
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

John,

I took a look at it. Nice looking rifle! Buy a shoulder pad from Buffalo Arms
and you'll be shooting it all day long. If it actually goes for around the low estimate, you'll be getting quite a bargain!

-jim
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Looks like a very honest Ballard Pacific, and I agree with Jim. If it can be purchased somewhere in the lower range of the estimated values, it will be well worth buying.
Pacific Ballards are getting very hard to find in decent shape. I see a lot of rough examples going in the $2,000-$2,500 range, and that one is above average shape.
Hope you get it John!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

Thanks Jim and Val,
I done some searching and have discovered I can use the .40-90ss cut down and sized for the .40-85. I know of a few #5's that have been on the net for awhile now in the $2200-2800 price range and I would have never given this one a second thought if I hadn't held it in my own two hands. There's a limit to what I am willing to risk on some ones description of a gun! There is another #5 in .40-85 on Guns International that has a price of $4400. Looks to be in a tad better shape, but then again, some one else's description!
Read some posts over on the ASSRA forum. Seems there's a guy over there that is always real helpful like the one we have here! :wink:

Thanks, John