Ballard warning!

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Ballard warning!

Post by marlinman93 »

Here's one to steer clear of!
It's a #3f Fine Gallery cast action that someone has mounted a .38-55 barrel on, and restocked to make it look like a #9 Union Hill.
The three line address, and concave top receiver are giveaways to it's original configuration of .22 rimfire.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=80870392
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

Val,
I just looked at this one and that's the first thing I noticed was the concaved receiver top and the barrel not matching. Maybe I am learning something after all!! Have you looked at the Ballards coming up on the James Julia auction? #3090 interests me even with the lever droop and #3094 and #3102 look appealing. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. I've never be a big fan of buyers premiums, but I'm seriously considering bidding on one of these rifles. If I don't, I hope to find a good deal at the Tulsa show in Oct. like I past up last year! :oops:

Thanks, John
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

John,
If they go anywhere close to the estimates they list, they would be the steal of the century!
3090 should go for at least twice the listed price.
3094 has a scope that would sell for somewhere between the low and high listed values, and with the gun tossed in it's half of what it would sell for.
3102 What can I say about an AW Peterson Ballard? Axel Peterson was possibly the finest maker of .22 caliber barrels in his time. His connection to the great Denver gunsmith Geo. Schoyen, plus his own reputation, will certainly bring that gun (with a nice Fecker scope!) to possibly twice the high end appraisal!
Vall
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

Val,
Thanks for your thoughts, I realize the estimates are low. They always seem to boast how their final sale totals exceed their expectations! I'm really leaning toward #3090, nice cal. and set triggers. How could you ask for more, unless maybe you wanted one of those period scopes.
I got a lead on a local Dr. that is said to have several Ballards in his collection. If this turns out to be true, they will be the first Ballards I know of in my area. My lead is supposed to arrange to see if I can meet with him if he has any he will sell. I'm not holding my breath, as my last "reliable" lead turned out to be a long trip to see some rusted Stevens tip-up! I'm not giving in till I can say "I own a Ballard".

Thanks, John
Four-Eyed Buck
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Four-Eyed Buck »

mm'93, Did they put a location up for that Ballard? Remember a couple years back I asked you about one that I ran into at my smith's? it was a #3 action that a guy wanted to put a 38-55 barrel on. Sounds awful familiar to me....................Buck 8) :roll: :oops:
If Marlin made SA revolvers, I'd be shooting those, too!!!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Hi Buck,
Auction says seller is in Buena Vista, Co. Maybe it came via Ohio?

I received my Ballard Schuetzen rifle yesterday!
Appears to be a Zettler Bros. custom schuetzen, with Stevens 438 scope, mounted in a neat set of H.M. Pope mounts! The barrel is a Wrenchester .22 short, #3 full octagon, rerifled in Zettler Bros. style. -Vall