Found a pile of Ballards

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Found a pile of Ballards

Post by Hunt4em »

I just got back from a trip across Nebraska. I stopped at Cabela's in Sidney and low and behold there was 4 Ballards in the library! They never sold the ones that were on the net. When I ask about them, the gentleman opened the case and started handing them to me one at a time. :shock: I was reluctant to hold a rifle I could never afford, but he insisted, so with trembling hands I admired a #7, 7A-1, 7A-1 and a engraved #7. I was in Heaven! Nearly $100,000 worth of guns in my callused working hands. :D I ask if these were from one collection and he gave me a shocking response. He said that Cabela's bought John Dutchers' collection and that all were pictured in his book. He would not specify on the number of Ballards they had but stated they would be sent out to the new stores as they were built and at that time only, would they be listed on their web site! I'm not sure if they can build a store faster than I can fill my penny jar, but I'm goin' to start savin'!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Hunt4em;

The guy at Cabela's was wrong, they did not buy John Dutcher's collection. I talked with John right after Cabela's acquired the guns, and they came from another collector mentioned in John's book. John sold most of his collection at auction at Rock Island Auction Company a couple of years ago. John may have owned most of these Ballards at one time, but not at the time Cabela's bought them.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Hey, it sounds better if they say they are from John's collection! Probably bring some bigger dollars too, with his book to go with them! :wink:
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

I thought it sounded strange that he would of sold his collection to Cabela's rather than auctioning them through a reputable auction house. I'm not knocking Cabela's, but if you want premium price for a premium rifle, go to auction. These are some fine rifles and if any of you are ever in the area, I would recommend stopping for a hands on look!
I also stopped in Omaha to take a look at that #1 1/2 (#4) in 40-65? cal.
I was amazed when I looked down the bore to see a large spot of rust starting to form in front of the chamber. It cleaned up nice after I mentioned it to the gentleman. I was not impressed with his response when I ask if it was 40-65 Ballard or win., his hesitation in answering made me hesitant to spend any more of my hard earned money. I just dropped $1800 on a new camera or I would of took a chance a brought it home! Maybe they will post a nice affordable 38-55 in the near future! :roll:
Thanks, John
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Either caliber in the .40-65 would make a nice shooter, and not hard to get brass for. Of course the Win. .40-65 would be the easiest, but the Ballard would be the most desireable for my interests!-Vall
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!