Ballard #1 Brown Mfg Co

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

smp242
Beginner

Ballard #1 Brown Mfg Co

Post by smp242 »

I know very little about Ballards other than the stock from the Brown Mfg Co was sold when Marlin purchased it. The rifle I have is a Brown Mfg Co. It has a 30 inch octagon barrel and a short fore stock. I don't know the caliber but do know that it was changed from a rimfire to a center fire over the years and is now unsafe to fire. The serial number is 21847. The bore is great but I need to find out more information. Does any one know a good source to contact to help me research this. Thanks
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

John H Brown built Ballard patent rifles from 1869-1873. His demise was reportedly caused by his continued pursuit of a military contract in a post Civil War era.
John Brown was a outstanding marksman in his own right. He was also a member of the board of directors of the NRA, and a member of the U S International Rifle team.
Brown Ballards don't fall into the numbered models. They are classified in old Brown advertisements as one of three, Sporting Rifles, Kentucky Rifles (military style muskets) and Carbines. Also Brown Ballards used an external extractor, unlike Marlin Ballards, which had the internal automatic extractor system designed by John Marlin.
Hope this helps-Vall
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!