Ballard display

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

Vall,

They have a lot of guns on display, a little of everything, but not enough room. When you think of all the different manufacturers and all the different models and options, and throw in the military stuff, it really becomes an impossible task. I know that I was disappointed when I went to look at case colored Winchester '86s; I think they only had three with any case colors on them. Same thing with Remington RBs, just a couple of military versions with case colors. The display really hasn't changed since I can remember. Someday I'd love to see what they have in storage!

-jim
oodmoff
Marksman

Post by oodmoff »

I definitly think I am I little bias but you guys bringing up Cody, leds me to go off on a tangent, which im required to do once a year :roll:

Isn't it funny how life works.

I lived in Cody from 1981 to 1996 (2nd grade thru part of college) and enjoyed everything the outdoors around the town had to offer. While I lived there I was an avid hunter (from rabbits to big game) and fished the rivers, streams, and lakes from inside Yellowstone, across the Beartooth Mt Range, and even the public lakes in and around town. Of course this time was spent with my parents. My income, as well as theirs was limited. The only guns I had were the basics; a marlin bolt action tubular fed .22 (980 I think) which I went to get with my father at age 12 with money I had saved up for quite some time (mowing lawns), and a ruger M77 7mm which I had bought a little later in my teens so that my father and I no longer had to share the same rifle while hunting. Thanks to my fathers guidance I learned to always appreciated the beauty of the surrounding area and spent the majority of my time where it took very little to do a lot; the outdoors. (I'm sure this rings true with many of you.) As a family we visited the museum occasionally (perhaps every 3-5yrs), I always the enjoyed the sereal feeling of touring the facility and felt proud to have such a landmark in our small little town, but perhaps never took it for its true worth.

It is only now, that my parents no longer reside there and life has caught up with my childhood freedoms that I'm at distance somewhat with the outdoors, with work and the responsiblities that go along with being a parent (how wonderful) that I miss that area and its amazing museum. I sure wouldn't trade the path that life has led me down for anything. I guess this is just a long winded way to thank my parents for their sacrifices, my dad for his time, and to pass on to those of you who haven't had an oppurtunity to make up to Cody to do so.
Thanks
Darin
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

Vall,
I hope they change the guns on display, as I'm kind of partial to the old Marlin's, but a gun is a gun. I understand that the museum got the majority of it's collection from the Winchester estate, then bought and donated back by Ruger. So I guess they may not have that many Marlin's in their collection. Maybe one of us Marlin collectors should get old and donate our collection! :lol:

Jim,
I have heard they only have room to display less than a third of the guns in the collection. I too, would like to see all of them or at least know how many guns are in the entire collection. When I hear of the number of guns on display, it makes my mind spin when I think of what could be behind closed doors.

To all MFCA members,
If you have more guns than you have space in your safes for, you should donate to the Cody museum so I will have something to look at when I visit!! :roll:

Thanks, John