Nickeled Ballard

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Nickeled Ballard

Post by marlinman93 »

Imagine my surprise! I bought a Ballard #2 Hunter in .38 Long that looked like it was a bare receiver in the pictures. When it came this week I opened the box to find a early JM Marlin #2 that is all nickled, except the barrel!
Here I thought I got a project that needed some TLC for a cheap price, only to find out it was a variation I didn't have! It's not perfect, but it's got a beautiful bore, solid wood, and plenty of barrel blue. All original nickle, and original sights too!
Guess I'll load up some round balls in .38 cases, and give her a little range time! ;)

Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

Nice ballard!!
It's amazing how well nickle holds up over time. I had the chance to buy a nickle framed #4 a few months ago. It was in 32-40 with an excellent bore and 85% blue. I didn't know that much about Ballards then, but now I have read Dutcher's book twice and study the Marlin section when I have time. Now I'm waiting for another chance. I have deer hunted strictly with muzzle loaders for the last 12 yrs. I've used .40 to .58 cal, flint and percussion. I want to try something new and a old Ballard will be next. Again nice gun! I'm glad it was a good surprise and not one of those "What did I do?" buys.
Fling some lead and tell us how great it shoots.
John