Ballard from abroad

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

patbig
Beginner

Ballard from abroad

Post by patbig »

Hello all, just joined. I was lucky to find a no 2 in 32 long, great condition, on a small auction site in France, where I live. This is home after a few great years in Portland OR. I did know much about the Ballards when I bought this one a few weeks ago. The serial number is 4601. I also own an early 1894 Marlin in 32-20, sn 139124, made in 1895 it seems.
Couple of questions: since the 32 Long ammo is impossible to find here, old or new, any suggestion as to the nearest match for resizing? I ordered the dies and NEI mould and will do my own reload. I'd buy brass too if there's some around, my Portland fishing buddy Tom can be a contact if shipping to France is an issue. Any advice on reloading, powder type/volume would be welcome too. I can't wait to start testing this little rifle at the range.
Thanks for your help,
Pat
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Pat,
You can buy brass from Buffalo Arms, or you can resize .32 S&W Long brass, and turn the rims down slightly if needed. Some .32 S&W rims will fit the chamber, if the Ballard in question has a little play in the chamber.
Try sizing the .32 S&W brass first, then test it in the chamber before taking anything off the rims. I used to trim the rims down by chucking them in a drill motor, and holding a file to the rims until they were sized correctly.
Be sure to use a heeled bullet to fit the case and bore properly.
Hope this helps.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
patbig
Beginner

Got it shooting again!

Post by patbig »

I shot my number 2 32 Long today for the first time, probable first time in ages since the firing pin was still on rimfire when I bought it three weeks ago. Great feeling to have this little rifle shoot again. Groupings were abysmal, the bullets I have are to small, I knew it but I'm still waiting for a mould I ordered from NEI. I was using brass resizd from 32 Long S&W by a friend, swiss blackpowder no1, a tad finer than FFG. This great little rifle might just be the one to bring my wife to the shooting club, right size and weight for her. I'd love to find a 32-40 but these guns are hard to find here in Europe. And even harder to import, so this is not a wanted add :lol:
Pat