Firing pin for No 2 Ballard

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

mxbob
Beginner

Firing pin for No 2 Ballard

Post by mxbob »

Howdy all
I am new here, just got my first Ballard a no 2 sporting rifle in 32 long. It is really in pretty good condition except some previous owner has removed the front of the firing pin to make it unfirable. It is the reversable one for rim or centerfire. Using the old one as a pattern I have made a new one but I am not sure how much pin protrusion to leave or the final shape of the nose of the pin. Maybe some one with one could get a measurement for me, and a description of the nose, is it a point ,wedge, oval, or ? I have some of the modern 32 long rimfire ammo that shoots OK in an old Stevens and a Rem rolling block that I have and am anxious to try this one. Did I mention that it has double set triggers and the lever has a ring in the end like I have seen in pics of the Pacfic modell? Wood is solid and has some figure in it, oct barrel with most of the blueing, receiver looks like an old cold blue job. I am pleased with it as it seems to me a rather elegant light rifle. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Bob
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Bob,
Didn't I give you this information on another post you made somewhere? Was it at the ASSRA site?
The protrusion is about .060" and the shape is a wedge shape. Still flat on the end, but slightly tapered on each side of the flat tip.

Try this link:
http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB. ... 1152562206
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
mxbob
Beginner

Post by mxbob »

Yes Marlinguy You did and I have the rifle working fine.
Thanks again
Bob
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Where are you at MXBOB I'm in Poulsbo.
GBOT, GBUSA