Junior rifle no10 ?

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

doglock
Beginner

Junior rifle no10 ?

Post by doglock »

Help needed from across the pond in identifying a Ballard, which i think is a Junior no10, outward appearance is as a Union Hill no8 no checkering to stock or fore end. Receiver, 2 line address, not rebated, forged, on front l.h.s edge of receiver by small pin hole there is a stamped letter S. no 31907
Barrel, 30" long full octagon no tulip, stamped 32/40 on top of barrel, underside of barrel stamped no31907, also dovetail slot cut in barrel beneath fore end.
Action, double set triggers, both sides stamped no31907, extractor stamped 38-55 Sights, improved graduated peep sight, front wind gauge sight without spirit level Stock is numbered 22267 hook appears to be nickel plated brass Weight about 12lbs. Fore end, not numbered as back 5/16 has been removed and replaced with matching wood, also there were three .5" holes drilled in the bottom of the fore end now filled in with matching wood dowels all repairs seem professionally done. Any thoughts would be much appreciated, if it is a no10 how common were they?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Junior rifle no10 ?

Post by marlinman93 »

You didn't mention if it's a straight grip frame, or pistol gripped? I would expect a #10 Schuetzen Jr. to be pistol gripped. The full octagon barrel is very unusual for the #10 as all I've seen were half octagon. But could be a special order. The same goes for the smooth stock and forearm, as all were normally checkered. Again, a smooth stock set would be special order. The #10 used the small Farrow style buttplate also.
Your dovetail in the bottom of the barrel is not original, and likely for a palm rest once. As are the holes in the non matching forearm, which likely held a palm rest of some sort once.
The heavy receiver without rebate, and heavy barrel, plus set triggers fall in line with the #10, but also with other models. The 30" long barrel doesn't make sense as one feature of the #10 WAS A 32" barrel as standard? So not definitive with just those features. A picture might help, but once a Ballard has some customization, or special order features, it's often tough to determine what model it was.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
doglock
Beginner

Post by doglock »

Thank you for reply & information, yes the stock is pistol gripped and does have the small farrow buttplate, working on sending picture !
I was interested that other models had the heavy receiver/barrel & double set triggers, i was wondering what models they were ?.
Not many Ballards turn up here in Britain so most of my info is gleaned from well known U.S auction houses or Gun shops old catalogues etc.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

A number of early models had the heavy non rebated frames in both straight grip and pistol gripped. Later some of those same models got the lighter rebated framed with the step side. The #6 Scheutzen was always a heavy pistol grip frame, at least I've never seen one stepped side. The 4 1/2 Mid-Range came both ways, but I see more with heavy frames. Most #7 Long-Range models were heavy frames, but towards the later production the #7 A-1 Extra had a smattering of stepped side frames.

The finest source on Ballard rifles is John Dutcher's book on Ballard rifles. It's the best written gun book ever done, regardless of the brand, or model of guns covered. He did an amazing job on it, but I truly wish he'd make a 2nd printing as the originals are beyond what most collectors want to pay now at around $250-$300. I bought my copy directly from John on his way home from picking them up back in 2002. They were $70 then, and I regret not buying more than one copy! Mine is pretty tattered after 20 years!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
doglock
Beginner

Post by doglock »

At last managed to download pics hope it may help to further identify model