Need help identifying 2 rifles…2 of 2

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Aaleyend
Beginner

Need help identifying 2 rifles…2 of 2

Post by Aaleyend »

The second rifle has been re-barreled, I am assuming he used this for a bench gun at some point. I included pics of the barrel I didn’t see any caliber marks. Any idea based on the pics of what model and/or caliber this could be? I also attached a few of the more interesting rifles from the collection. Thanks in advance!

marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Need help identifying 2 rifles…2 of 2

Post by marlinman93 »

This also started as a centerfire, and likely a #6 1/2 Rigby model. I doubt it would be a bench gun with the Farrow style schuetzen buttplate. More likely the other would have been a bench gun with that style buttplate. This one is an offhand gun for schuetzen matches. Forearm is not an offhand style, so contradicts the buttplate. Guessing whoever put the Remington 37 barrel on it simply used the forearm from that barrel, and never slimmed it down.
If I owned this gun I'd toss the barrel and forearm, and have a centerfire barrel chambered for .32-40, or .38-55 in a full octagon or half octagon #3 weight. Would make a wonderful rifle, and aesthetically much more traditional, and valuable too. Since Marlin didn't mark any stampings on the exposed barrel, so just blued and no markings is correct.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

The other top two rifles are Martini style actions. Not Martinis, just that style. The bottom is a Sharps Borchardt military receiver built up as a sporting rifle, and only the receiver is the original Sharps Borchardt. It's a nice looking rifle, as are the two top rifles! Looks like he had great taste in single shots!
Aaleyend
Beginner

Post by Aaleyend »

Thanks! The top 2 are both Carl Stiegele rifles, the triggers are among the best I have ever felt! The Sharps is chambered in 32-40. There was another single shot not pictured it is a Winchester 1885 chambered in 219 Don Wasp. I hope the get them all identified and up and running, minus the Stiegels.
Aaleyend
Beginner

Post by Aaleyend »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:10 pm This also started as a centerfire, and likely a #6 1/2 Rigby model. I doubt it would be a bench gun with the Farrow style schuetzen buttplate. More likely the other would have been a bench gun with that style buttplate. This one is an offhand gun for schuetzen matches. Forearm is not an offhand style, so contradicts the buttplate. Guessing whoever put the Remington 37 barrel on it simply used the forearm from that barrel, and never slimmed it down.
If I owned this gun I'd toss the barrel and forearm, and have a centerfire barrel chambered for .32-40, or .38-55 in a full octagon or half octagon #3 weight. Would make a wonderful rifle, and aesthetically much more traditional, and valuable too. Since Marlin didn't mark any stampings on the exposed barrel, so just blued and no markings is correct.
Any ideas where to start to look for a barrel and forearm? Thanks again!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I buy my barrels from Green Mountain. But BRC (Borchardt Rifle Co.) in New Mexico sells some great barrels at very reasonable prices also. Forearms in 90% inletted are available from many sources. CPA, Treebone Carving, are both good sources.
BRC can also thread and fit the barrel. I use Pat Taylor at C. Sharps for barrel fitting, and he does great work at fair prices.
Aaleyend
Beginner

Post by Aaleyend »

marlinman93 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:31 pm I buy my barrels from Green Mountain. But BRC (Borchardt Rifle Co.) in New Mexico sells some great barrels at very reasonable prices also. Forearms in 90% inletted are available from many sources. CPA, Treebone Carving, are both good sources.
BRC can also thread and fit the barrel. I use Pat Taylor at C. Sharps for barrel fitting, and he does great work at fair prices.
Thanks again! Weird thing is that the chamber is larger than a 22lr, looks like maybe someone opened it up, maybe a 22 hornet or something…I will take a look at your recommendations.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Aaleyend wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:36 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:31 pm I buy my barrels from Green Mountain. But BRC (Borchardt Rifle Co.) in New Mexico sells some great barrels at very reasonable prices also. Forearms in 90% inletted are available from many sources. CPA, Treebone Carving, are both good sources.
Thanks again! Weird thing is that the chamber is larger than a 22lr, looks like maybe someone opened it up, maybe a 22 hornet or something…I will take a look at your recommendations.
Well it's quite possible it was rechambered. But if it's a .22 rimfire barrel, and chamber reamed for a larger CF cartridge it will likely be a pretty poor shooter for accuracy. The twist rates for .22 RF are quite different from many CF .22's, and doubt it worked very well.