Need help identifying 2 rifles…1 of 2

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Aaleyend
Beginner

Need help identifying 2 rifles…1 of 2

Post by Aaleyend »

Hi guys, new to the forum. Recently took in some family heirlooms from my wife’s late grandfather. He was heavy into bench and trap shooting, and all things firearms. First rifle is labeled 22 short, matching numbers, and the barrel measures 26.5 inches. I myself am a firearms enthusiast, but never really had an opportunity to get into the older stuff. However, I am already hooked! Many google searches brought me here, I am hoping someone can help! Thanks

Aaleyend
Beginner

Re: Need help identifying 2 rifles…1 of 2

Post by Aaleyend »

Test
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Your fine Ballard rifle was once a very deluxe factory engraved centerfire rifle. The serial number, and caliber marked on the barrel are both indications that the barrel has been replaced. The ".22 Short" is done in Stevens script, and the location and marking of the serial number on the barrel are typical of J. Stevens A&T company. It's possible if you pull the forearm wood you may even find further indication of Stevens marking it as their work.
The action on your rifle is a forged centerfire action, as it has a two line rollstamp on the left side. Marlin used forged actions on centerfire rifles, not .22 rimfires. The breech block is also for a centerfire as it has the firing pin retaining screw up high in the centerfire position. A factory rimfire breech block had no firing pin screw at all, and a factory dual firing pin setup had the screw down low where it barely cleared the frame with the action closed. So it started life as a deluxe special order rifle done in centerfire, and similar to a mid-range #4 1/2, and someone sent it to Stevens Arms to be rebarreled to the .22 Short it is now.
I have a Ballard done at Stevens also, and similarly marked, but under the forearm wood mine is marked, "Re-barreled by J. Stevens Arms Co." If you pull the forearm off you may find a similar marking. Marlin always put the barrel serial number hidden under the forearm, but Stevens did theirs as your rifle is done.
This is still a very rare, and beautiful Marlin Ballard, but just rebarreled by Stevens. I personally think it doesn't hurt the value a lot, but does slightly reduce the collector interest for a Ballard purist. But for some the Stevens re-barrel can add some interest also!
Just a really neat old Ballard that's in wonderful condition as altered.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Aaleyend
Beginner

Post by Aaleyend »

Marlinman93, thank you for the information, very helpful. I will remove the forearm and see what I come up with. This is why I could never find a 22 example that quite matched up.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes, since it's only using the action, and the rest has been customized it makes it tough to fall into a Marlin Ballard category. Here's a early #6 1/2 Rigby straight grip stocked rifle I own.

And my #6 1/2 pistol grip Rigby Ballard. Both guns happen to be .40-63 Ballard Everlasting chambers.

Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!