New to me JM Marlin Ballard

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

ramoutdoor
Beginner

New to me JM Marlin Ballard

Post by ramoutdoor »

I'm guessing you guys will answer all my questions to this new toy real quick :D

JM Marlin New Haven CT
Patented February 9, 1875
Ballard's Patent Nov 5 186x
on side of receiver,
serial #138XX
44W on top of 29" octagon barrel
no set triggers,
Schuetzen style stock (right cheek rest and HARD curve steel butt plate)

I'll try and load some pictures next, but there are some basics... any info / approx values appreciated..
ramoutdoor
Beginner

Re: New to me JM Marlin Ballard

Post by ramoutdoor »

Image[/img]
Image[/img]
Image[/img]
Image[/img]
ramoutdoor
Beginner

Post by ramoutdoor »

marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

The 3 line address should usually indicate a #2 cast receiver. But your breech block is the CF only version, and that would be normal for a #2 chambered in .44-40 WCF. The buttstock is not a Marlin as far as I can tell, not is the buttplate from what I see.
So appears someone put a different buttstock on a #2 standard rifle to use for offhand shooting. Still a neat old gun, and should be fun shooter if the rifling is good. Keep the loads down in it if you're shooting smokeless loads, and use cast lead bullets.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
ramoutdoor
Beginner

Post by ramoutdoor »

thank you!!! whoever did the schuetzen buttstock did an amazing job if it is aftermarket, fit & finish are perfect.. either way, I'm selling for a family, any idea on values??? thanks again!!!!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Marlin Ballard rifles have serial numbers everywhere that match the receiver. Even wood was serial numbered, as were buttplates. You can remove the buttplate and if it was an original it will be serial numbered inside to match. But that's not a Marlin schuetzen buttplate as Marlin never made one with that top return piece yours has on it, so it wont match. The buttstocks and forearms were stamped on the ends where they butt to the receiver, so pulling forearm and stock will reveal if there's a matching number. Maybe the forearm is original, but I doubt the buttstock is.
Your receiver is a 3 line cast receiver, and in .44-40, which makes it highly unlikely it would have ever been a schuetzen rifle when it left Marlin. A number of calibers were commonly purchased for schuetzen, but a .44-40 would most likely never chosen as one of them. I see lots of .38-55, .32-40, and .40-63 everlasting Ballard factory schuetzen models. I even have a #2 in .32 Long done up as a special order schuetzen rifle with all matching numbers. It looks like a deluxe Union Hill except it's a rare pistol grip nickeled frame version. Which brings up another issue with yours. It's a straight grip receiver with the schuetzen style stock. Something Marlin didn't do either. Even their straight gripped stocks somewhat like yours were still built on pistol gripped receivers, whether they were perch belly or pistol grip stocked.
As for the value, it's still pretty good as an older custom rifle. The stock work is nicely done, and the overall look is nice. The cast receiver, and .44-40 will hurt value a little, but if the rifling is excellent I'd expect this gun to sell around $1500.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
ramoutdoor
Beginner

Post by ramoutdoor »

thank you so much for all the information. just what i needed..
appreciate the opportunity to "discuss" this unique piece..