Ballard #6 1/2 First Model Rigby

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Ballard #6 1/2 First Model Rigby

Post by marlinman93 »

In the early years after John Marlin agreed to take over Ballard production after Brown Mfg. went under, he immediately expanded the line of Ballard models significantly from anything the 5 previous makers ever made. One of the early models was the Marlin Ballard Offhand Rifle, which in short time around 1878 became the #6 1/2 Rigby Offhand Rifle. This early Rigby Ballard was a pistol grip frame, but were made with German style straight grip stocks for a bit over 2 years. Soon after JM Marlin changed the Rigby Ballard to pistol grip stocks, and dropped the straight grip Rigby from there catalog.
I've seen a small number of straight grip 1st model Rigby Ballards for sale, but they get pretty big premiums for this rare variation. At the recent CGCA show I was fortunate to finally find one I could afford, and picked it up.
The caliber of most of these early 1st model Rigbys was almost all .40-65 Ballard Everlasting, or the .38-50 Everlasting which became the .38-55 we all know today. The Rigby I purchased is the larger .40-65 EL cartridge, which was later replaced by the .40-63 Ballard Everlasting by 1880-81 time frame. Shooters soon discovered the larger .40's were tougher on the shooter in long matches, so the later PG Rigbys are more common in .32-40 or .38-55 cartridge chamberings.
The Rigby Ballard is almost exclusively found with full round barrels, and the easily identifiable three Rigby flats, which are engraved, as are the receivers. Rigby Ballards were one of the highest priced models sold by Marlin, and costs ran over 3x what the average hunting plain models cost! At around $65 not a cheap gun for the era! All Rigby variations were engraved receivers, with the corners faceted on the octagon tops. Most engraved by Ulrich, but also by LD Nimschke in some earlier variations.
Rigby models all had single triggers standard, but could be special ordered with set triggers. A buyer should always check serial numbers on breech block halves of any Rigby with set triggers, as they often were swapped in by gunsmiths or owners, which does hurt the values a small amount. If they match it's a premium to the value of a Rigby!
Early buttplates were heavier German style, and buttstocks had a flat bottom to the contours. Later used the typical Farrow style found on almost all Marlin schuetzen or offhand rifles, and designed by factory shooter Milton Farrow.
The 1st model Rigby straight grip I found was cut for a rear dovetail to use a full length scope. The Rigbys never had a rear barrel sight as they came with a vernier midrange peep sight, and a windage globe front sight. Luckily I also found a 6x Stevens-Ideal 32" long eye relief scope at the same show, and it had dovetail rings, so fit right on the rifle!
The engraving on my 1st model appears to be by Nimschke, or out of his shop. It has a buck and doe on the left side, and a running buffalo on the right side. Very light touch by the engraver, which is typical of many early Marlin engraved rifles.

My 1st model also has an unusual silver plated buttplate, which was so dark it appeared blued. I polished it out with silver polish to bring it back. The cheekpiece has a lucky crescent moon inlaid also. Maybe some shooter thought it might give him an edge in a match, or just liked the treatment?

Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Ballard #6 1/2 First Model Rigby

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Vall;

Great Ballard! You did well, and glad you showed it to me at the show.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Vall;

Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:36 pm Vall;

Thanks Rick! I always look forward to seeing you, and other friends at the CGCA show!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!