new marlin ballard owner

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: new marlin ballard owner

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks Rick. I don't doubt there are exceptions, and John has certainly seen many more Ballards than I have. But the 3 line, and 2 line address theory is a very good method of determining if a Ballard is cast or forged. The buyer still needs to check, just because of the exceptions, but they are rare enough to still feel comfortable that the vast majority will fall inside the 2 line and 3 line method.
When looking at Dutcher's book, and examples, I always wonder if guns like the #3F on page 131 is a cast 2 line, or is it a forged 2 line on a #3 frame? An oddity either way, but since John doesn't say, we have no way to know if it contradicts the theory.
The 6 1/2 with 3 line address falls into a group of guns with 3 line addresses, and is most likely as John mentions elsewhere, a case of a broken rollstamp die, and using the 3 line die until they had another built.
I have often run into 3 line Ballards in larger CF rifle calibers. So far all of them turned out to be cast receivers that had been rebored, or rebarreled. I'd actually enjoy finding a forged receiver 3 line as Brent has, as it would just be neat to own one. All of mine fall into the normal thinking on 2-3 line addresses.
I just picked up a very unusual Ballard that I was half hoping was one of those exceptions. It is a .32 Long marked barrel, but it's a pistol grip nickel frame. It's also 28" half octagon, very high grade checkered wood, and the small Swiss Farrow style buttplate. Loop lever, single trigger, and midrange vernier sight, with Ballard windage globe front sight. I hoped the 3 line address might be an exception on this one, but it is indeed cast. Except for caliber and cast frame, it has no other features of a #2, as it has all the features of a #9 Union Hill except for caliber, and nickel plating.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/ ... CF4570.jpg
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Vall;

Very neat special order #2 Sporting Rifle. Years ago (many) I had a pistol grip #2 Sporting rifle in .32 caliber. Unlike yours, it had a full octagon barrel with a crescent style butt plate.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote:Vall;

Very neat special order #2 Sporting Rifle. Years ago (many) I had a pistol grip #2 Sporting rifle in .32 caliber. Unlike yours, it had a full octagon barrel with a crescent style butt plate.
Sounds like a neat gun still Rick! Finding a #2 in pistol grip frame is a very rare configuration! Mine has a replaced forearm tip, which appears is not Marlin style. Otherwise it's all matching numbers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/ ... CF4585.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/ ... f698a9.jpg
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Vall;

At first glance, that Ballard does look like a #9 Union Hill. I bet you were surprised to see the caliber marking indicating it was not a #9 Union Hill. I do not know about you, but when I find something that just does not appear right, I really start to study the situation. The good thing about Ballards is that they were made at a time when the customer was right, and he got exactly what he wanted, so about anything goes.
Really neat Ballard!
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote:Vall;

At first glance, that Ballard does look like a #9 Union Hill. I bet you were surprised to see the caliber marking indicating it was not a #9 Union Hill. I do not know about you, but when I find something that just does not appear right, I really start to study the situation. The good thing about Ballards is that they were made at a time when the customer was right, and he got exactly what he wanted, so about anything goes.
Really neat Ballard!
I wasn't able to inspect the gun prior to buying it. But did have a friend who discovered it in a Denver shop look it over. He's not a Ballard guy, but talked to me over the phone, and texted me pictures, so I had a good idea what it was. It was also priced in the range of a decent stock #2, so really didn't have to take much of a gamble in not personally handling it. I almost never buy old Marlins I don't inspect myself, but made the exception on this one.
Once it arrived, it only confirmed what I thought. With Marlin Ballards having so many numbers stamped everywhere, it sure makes it more comforting to disassemble them and find they all match.
It certainly is an example of Marlin doing whatever the customer requested at that time in gun making.