Ballard #2 Barrel Liner

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

darylvisser
Beginner

Ballard #2 Barrel Liner

Post by darylvisser »

I am in the process of putting a Ballard #2 back together. The bore is horrible. I would like to keep the original .38 long (convertible breech block) caliber for the gun. I know NEI sells a mold for the heeled bullet at .375". I would line the bore if I could identify a suitable liner. I believe a .38-55 WCF liner would have too fast a twist as the buillet for that is much larger. What liner would I use and where can I get it? Thanks.
R/
Daryl
podufa
Beginner

Re: Ballard #2 Barrel Liner

Post by podufa »

I think you would have better luck asking this question on the ASSRA forum
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Afraid finding a liner for the original caliber is not a problem. They wont be the same as the .38-55, as they are around .379" bore. The .38 Long is a true .375" bore, and I would think that places like Redman's Liners, or TJ's Gateway Enterprises liners would carry a smaller .375" liner.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
SgtDog
Beginner

Post by SgtDog »

Daryl,

Per John Taylor (Taylor Machine), since I am having similar work done and asked recently: "I have a long taper throat reamer for the 38-55. The .379” liner comes with a 1 in 18 twist, the .375 has 1 in 18 and 1 in 14 available".

I believe he uses TJ liners. He is located in Washington and is very well regarded. I have used him for two relines and am very pleased. PM me if you want contact information.
darylvisser
Beginner

Post by darylvisser »

Thanks guys. Unbelievably I am just getting back to this. Life does introduce an occasional surprise. I will try TJ Gateway. I have used many of his.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Just a note I figured I'd mention, if you haven't already gotten this far. You'll most likely have trouble finding a chamber reamer in .32 Long, and have to have one custom ground. Most reamer companies will have .32 S&W Long, but doubt they have the old .32 Long.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!