Search for Ballard

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

gheide
Beginner

Search for Ballard

Post by gheide »

My dad always wanted to complete a Pacific 5 1/2 "Montana" Ballard. He died last fall and left me several parts. I know it's a huge long shot, but any chances someone has the frame stamped 9882? I have the barrel and would love to find its mate. Thanks!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Search for Ballard

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes, that's a gigantic long shot, and I hope you're successful in finding the gun, and then getting the owner to part with it! Whoever owns it will probably want you to sell them the barrel!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Gentlemen;

Having many discussions with John Dutcher, author of the Ballard book, he has stated several times that the Pacific action was the choice of many of the old time gun smiths that customized single shot rifles for target work. The double set triggers made it the ideal choice for them to use. He also stated that many of the "Schutezen Fest" participants used the Pacific rifle (in it's original state) for target shooting because of the double set triggers and weight of the rifle made them ideal to use for target shooting. At this past Denver show, there was a young man carrying around a Ballard action he was customizing for a target rifle. And yes, it was a Pacific action. He had it engraved and case-colored to his liking and was in process of finishing it up. Looked good, but now, sadly, there is one less original Pacific Ballard rifle for future generations.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
gheide
Beginner

Post by gheide »

Thanks to both of you for the info and encouragement! It's been suspicion all along that the barrel was parted from the action for just such a purpose. I suspect it's not uncommon to find barrels without the action, making them a bit less expensive. That's probably how my dad managed to lay hands on it, instead of a completed rifle. I do have a couple of Pacific actions. Maybe I'll eventually put a mismatch together, but I thought it was at least worth a try.
Thanks again!
SgtDog
Beginner

Post by SgtDog »

I hope my son is not someday seeking the same quest. Just picked up a barrel and I'd settle for any forged action that was in decent shape. Guy never knows till he tries I suppose.