Marlin-Ballard #5 Parts Needed or Specs on Parts

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

lowe210
Beginner

Marlin-Ballard #5 Parts Needed or Specs on Parts

Post by lowe210 »

I have an old Marlin-Ballard #5 Pacific Rifle in .45-70. Unfortunately it is missing the 2 cleaning rod thimbles and the cleaning/wiping rod. As these seem to be almost impossible to find, I'll likely have to make (or have made) these myself, but I want them to look as original as possible. Does anyone out there have any photos they could post of these 2 thimbles and the cleaning/wiping rod and/or the specific dimensions of these parts? Sure would appreciate some help on this. If there is a source of original parts, that would be the best of all worlds. Thanks.
Brent
Sharpshooter

Re: Marlin-Ballard #5 Parts Needed or Specs on Parts

Post by Brent »

I wonder if Track of the Wolf would have thimbles that are close enough, or could be made to look like Pacific thimbles?

If not, I would be glad to photograph my original Pacific thimbles for you.

As for wiping rods - well that's another matter. I still don't know what a "for sure" original wiping rod looks like. I thought mine might be original but I'm no longer sure. It is different than the average muzzleloading ramrod that is often use in replacement. I would also like to see the original jag for one of these rifles. It must be fairly long to give the wiping rod sufficient length to do it's job.

This is what my rod looks like, but again, I don't know if it is original.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Lowe210;

Go to http://www.ballardarms.com They have reproduction Ballard parts, including the thimbles for the cleaning rod. A bit pricey at $35.00 each, but a good Pacific is worth it.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

Ballard Arms is basically out of business. They are very hard to contact and they may or may not ship parts they have left over. I waited for weeks on some Winchester parts they said they had. They never arrived. And it took 6-8 tries for each phone call that I eventually got through.

If you can get some from them, great, but don't count on it. Even if they say they will ship them.

Brent
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Contact Wyoming Armory in Cody, which was the old Ballard Rifle Co. They may be able to direct you, or have thimbles there. Since the demise of Ballard Arms, I don't know of any source for repro Ballard parts, and original thimbles are tough to find. I bought a complete Ballard Pacific barrel that had a bad bore, just to get the original sights and thimbles.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!