Ballard No. 3 ??

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Rick N.
Beginner

Ballard No. 3 ??

Post by Rick N. »

Hi everyone,

New to this forum, but am member of several others. Long time collector, recently opened a small shop in Greenville, SC called Guns & Bikes.

This Marlin Ballard wandered int the shop, owner wants to sell it, not sure what a good price is to give him...... Would love some opinions.

I believe it is a No. 3 Gallery Rifle, s/n is 36439, has a 24" barrel with an excellent bore. Appears to be original & complete. Worst part is the crack in the stock. What would be a good price to get this for ?? What do you think actual value is ?

Rick N.
Beginner

Re: Ballard No. 3 ??

Post by Rick N. »

Help me out here guys !!!!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Rick;

You definitely have a Marlin Ballard #3 PG or #3 with Pistol Grip. With the markings on the side of the receiver, it was made after 1881 and before 1891 when the Ballard rifle was discontinued.
These #3 PG's apparently are quite scarce versions of the #3 Ballard rifle and had a separate listing in the catalogs when available.
If this was a standard #3 or #2 in the condition pictured here, it might be worth in the $750.00 to $900.00 range, depending on overall condition and the bore (really an important factor to single shot collectors). But since this is a scarce #3 PG, it should be worth a premium to a collector that does not have one and wants one. How much of a premium is hard to say.
You may want to contact John Dutcher in the Denver area for more information. He wrote the book on Ballards, and he is by far the most knowledgeable person on the subject.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Rick N.
Beginner

Post by Rick N. »

Regnier,Thanks for the info !!! The bore on mine is the best part, bright, shiny & perfect. Where on the wood is the s/n ? I will disassemble it tomorrow morning and look for it. Any idea where to begin cleaning this one up ?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Rick;

The good news is that nearly every part of a Ballard rifle has the serial number. The wood is serialized on the receiver end of the butt stock, as is the forearm. The butt plate will be numbered, the barrel and the breech block.
I do not know if there is anything I would do to "clean" this one up. It is what it is, a used but not abused, old firearm. Just looking at the pictures, I would disassemble it and then carefully, lightly oil the parts (none on the wood, oil and wood do not mix) and reassemble. If the wood would need anything, a light coat of paste wax (like Johnson's) could be applied then buffed to protect what finish remains.
Good luck..........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Beautiful little #3PG! Like Regnier mentioned, they are a desirable version, and not often seen unmolested. Although your gun shows little original finish, it should be left unmolested, as anything more than a wipe down would alter it's nice patina'd look. I have several #3 Ballards, and one #3 Fine Gallery, which is similar to your gun, but with checkering and small swiss buttplate. Still looking for a #3PG to add!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Rick N.
Beginner

Post by Rick N. »

Well, I did end up with this one, it has been sitting in my gun cave for about a year. It is a great shooter. But, slimming down some, offloading about 250 of my guns, and this is one of them. I have to come up with a price, but am open to trades of course - survival rifles or M1 Carbines considered.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

PM sent.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!