Ballards?

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Spencerphotography
Beginner

Ballards?

Post by Spencerphotography »

I have been considering purchasing a Ballard, that is until I looked at the price on them. Do you have any ideas were I could locate one that is in fair condition that I can work up? Or even some new manufactures, and what you may recommend. I am interested in them but the cost is way higher than I am used to.

:roll:

Thanks
Tim
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Tim;

Take a trip to Cody to the Ballard Rifle Company. They make excellent reproductions of the Ballard, and you can order just about any variation you want.
Watch the internet auction sites, as some come up there from time to time at reasonable prices. Have seen actions there too.
Good luck.......
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I saw a #2 Hunter the other day at Antiqueguns.com in .38 Long CF/RF with a "buy it now" price of $700. It closed without ever reaching more than $500.
Auction Arms and Gun Broker have a few, most the time. Prices for cast #2's are usually the most affordable, but if you plan to build one up, they're not a good choice for anything but low pressure pistol calibers. Be careful when purchasing just a receiver, to be sure what you're getting! You don't want a pre-Marlin Ballard, or a #2 if you plan to build a traditional rifle caliber gun.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Does your lever look like this:

Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!