New Ballard

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

New Ballard

Post by marlinman93 »

Picked up another Ballard for my collection this weekend at our collector's show! It's a very nice #2 in a rare .44 Ballard Extra Long. Lots of original finish on the metal, and almost 100% of the stock finish, with none of the usual Ballard cracks in the wrist!
The bore is perfect, so hopefully I'll be shooting it as soon as I can get some cases worked up from old .30-40 Krag shortened brass.
Image[/img]
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Well I didn't use the Krag brass, as it needed too much expansion, and annealing to facilitate it's use. Instead I stuck with Marlin brass! I found .444 brass to be the right rim diameter, a bit large at the base, and with enough extra length to cut down, and ream. I chucked 20 cases in the lathe, and cut the diameter down from the rim to about 1/2" above it, until it fit into my .44 magnum dies for a full length resize. I cut to 2" length, and reamed the necks, and loaded with a 230 grain cast lead bullet.
The end result is a case that's a perfect fit, and has a headstamp that now reads, ".44 Marlin" as I used a small burr on my dremel to remove the third "4" on the case!
Last edited by marlinman93 on Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moodyholler
Beginner

Post by moodyholler »

MM93, is that a cast action or forged? Thanks, moodyholler
Hopkins and Allen falling blocks parts and guns wanted.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

#2's are cast actions, except for a very small number. I have a #2 in .32 Ballard XL, that is a forged action, but I'd guess that is because it has double set triggers, and is centerfire only. A rareity for a #2. The cast action wont take a lot of heavy loads, so I'm keeping this load down to acceptable pressures. The original loading was a 265 gr. bullet at 1300+ fps, and I think the Ballard #2 would handle that, but I want to keep this lower.
Marlin chambered a good number of #2's for .44-40, and I haven't heard of any blowing up, but I would keep that cartridge to lower levels too.
Last edited by marlinman93 on Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobie
Beginner

Post by Hobie »

Looks like the .445 Super Mag. Pretty darn cool. I can see the turn marks on the case but you didn't feed it too fast, it looks good. I'd like to see a pic of the headstamp as you're altered it. Using a Dremel as a sort of running iron is a nifty idea.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

"The Stonewall Brigade"
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Hobie,
My lathe is has a hand crank, so it feeeds at whatever rate I turn it. I fed it pretty slow, and also hit the case with some emery afterwards. I'll take a pic of the base later. Got a OAC board meeting tonight. Getting ready for next August's two day collector show already!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Picked up an original Ballard Improved Gallery tang sight today for the old .44XL! Not too many around, and this one was a super buy! I'm a happy guy!
Terry B
Beginner

Tang mount sight?

Post by Terry B »

Marlinman93, where can one find a sight like this for my #2 .32 Sporting Ballard i have :?: Thanks :!:
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

If you're looking for an original, it may be a long wait! I was very fortunate to have this one come my way, as they are prized items, and not often found!
If you are interested in a reproduction, drop me a email. I have the repro that was on my #2, and I'll let you have it for what I paid, plus a little S&H. It's actually a bit better sight, as the repro is a vernier adjustment midrange, rather than a gallery style that simply slides up and down.
marlinguy@juno.com