Ballard #2 sports reverseable fireing pin Question.

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Terry B
Beginner

Ballard #2 sports reverseable fireing pin Question.

Post by Terry B »

Went to shoot my old ballard today, click. I see my rifle is set for rim fire, nice dent above the primer on the 32. cal long shell. Is there much to change the position of the firing pin to shoot center fire? Thanks! Terry :?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Terry;

To quote John Dutcher in his great book Ballard, the Great American Single Shot Rifle "...remove the screw that holds the flat firing pin in, then remove and turn the pin over to change it from rim- to centerfire. The breechblock should be removed for this job or damage will result."
Sounds simple! Good luck.........
I hope this hels.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Terry,
Be sure to flip it upside down, not front to back! Also, to remove the breechblock, simply remove the levr screw. Pull the lever, breechblock, and extractor all together. The block will come partially down, and then the extractor will need to pasas, before the rest of the breechblock drops out. When reassembling, reverse, by paertially installing the breechblock, then placing the extractor in position, and complete installation.
Hope this helps.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Terry B
Beginner

Thanks!

Post by Terry B »

Thanks for the replies on the extraction problem and reverseing the firing pin :!: Reversed the pin with no problem and cleaned the chamber better, making extracting the shell easier, now just have to go out and shoot the old rifle, its been silent for many moons :roll: Thanks again for the help :D