Bullet types for 32.cal long + short? my #2 Ballard

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Terry B
Beginner

Bullet types for 32.cal long + short? my #2 Ballard

Post by Terry B »

Like my military rifles for the heck of it i tryed the bullet test for muzzel wear. I noticed on the 32.cal short i purchased, that are manufactured by Winchester. That when i put in muzzel end of barrel that a good portion of bullet sticks out above the crimp on bullet at shell casing a good sign, i thought. When i tryed a 32.cal long colt made by Remington the whole bullet was swallowed up at end of barrel to the casing neck :o :) . The bullets of the two makes are different in shapes. Can someone tell me the difference in the two types of bullets? and is this muzzel wear or bullet shapes, Will this be a major difference in accuracy :?: Thanks :!:
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

It's simply a design difference. I'd guess the Remingtons are a hollow base, and they will "bump up" as they leave the case. Many of the old .32 Colt cartridges were designed to fill the bore as they expanded under firing. I'd guess they wil both fire equally well, if your bore is good.
Hope this helps.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
vrmntcllr
Beginner

Post by vrmntcllr »

If I'm not mistaken, 32 short colt uses a .311 or .313 bullet and 32 long colt from the 60's 70's or whenever they stopped producing has a diameter of .299. My own experience is that the factory long colt is not as accurate and I've read posts that tend to support that.

There is a custom mold manufacturer that makes a 32 long colt bullet mold.

http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/index.html

It's a .313 heeled bullet.

Hope this helps.
Terry B
Beginner

Remington 32 colt long vs Winchester 32 short colt

Post by Terry B »

Shot my #2 Ballard sporting rifle today :D First time the rifle been shot for many decades. I shot five rounds, shooting at 60 yards. I was shooting at a 8 inch shoot and see target. I was shooting at that distance because i was also shooting my German k-98, 8mm. I chambered a Remington long first and shot of the roof of my car as a rest. Pulled the hammer back took aim and fired, my first thought did this gun go off? could not believe how quiet it shot,could actually hear the hammer hit the shell. Anyway checked out target closer seen i was alittle low, 3 inchs low off the black, next shot i put in the black 12 o'clock on the target, third shot still using Remington long i shot low at five o'clock three inchs off the black. Last two shots were using the Winchester 32 colt short ammo. Both shots shot high two o'clock off the black on the 8 inch shoot and see. My rifle is with out a sight elevater. But for the condition that the rifle was in, with the rust inside and out before i cleaned it all up. I'm happy the way the old Ballard did :o Thanks for the info on all my past posts again :!:
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm glad to hear you're shooting it, and enjoying it too! It's great to actually shoot these old guns, and get a feel for what they're like.
The .32 Long is a wonderful caliber, and in that long barrel it is so soft it makes one think only the primer went off!
Hope you get the chance to shoot it a lot more!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Terry B
Beginner

Thanks Marlinman93

Post by Terry B »

Thanks for the help and replies again. Just amazes me on how quiet the rifle is. Never shot a rifle before with such little report and no recoil, :shock: except my pellet gun :lol: . Now to keep my eyes open for more 32 long colt have just under two hundred rounds, but still should have some on hand will keep the casings maybe someday if it's not to exspensive start reloading them :idea: