Help identify possible Ballard Pacific butt plate

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

dblgun
Beginner

Help identify possible Ballard Pacific butt plate

Post by dblgun »

Hello,
I have a cresent butt plate that I would like to identify. It looks like the ones that I have seen on Ballard Pacific rifles. It measures only 4 1/4" tall which is pretty small compared to a Marlin or Winchester of that era. It also looks like a Remington model 25 as both the Ballard and Remingtons have a thick, radiused tip on the toe of the plate. Any help with measurments for the Marlin Ballard Pacific crescent butt plate would be appreciated! The length of the top where it returns along the top of the stock, and the height of the plate from toe to heel should do the trick! Also the distance from the toe up to the screw hole in the butt would help.
Thanks for your help!
dblgun
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Help identify possible Ballard Pacific butt plate

Post by marlinman93 »

Ballard buttplates differ from other Marlin rifles with crecent buttplates, but the Pacific did not have it's own style crescent buttplate. The #5 Pacific used the same common crescent buttplate that other Marlin Ballard of that era used. I can't give you an exact measurement, as all Marlin buttplates were hand fitted, and some variation of a few thousandths occurs in all Marlins and Ballards.
The length is @ 4.5", return on top is @ 2", hole on top is @ 1.5" from the heel, and hole in the back is @ 2.75" down from the top. Early Ballards had a deeper curve to the crescent plate than later Ballards, but dimensions were close.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
dblgun
Beginner

Re: Help identify possible Ballard Pacific butt plate

Post by dblgun »

marlinman93

Thank you very much for your reply! Mine seems to be a smaller version, none of the measurments are close. The only other gun that has a similar style crescent plate that I have seen is the Remington modl. 12-C 22lr.
Thanks again,
dblgun