Ballard Question,

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

wincollector
Beginner

Ballard Question,

Post by wincollector »

Hello the Fire,

Here is my Question, I have come across a Ballard, it has two Dovetails for some kind of Hangers I think. Also it has Set Triggers(not working),Replaced Front Sight, No Rear Sight, Lever has a small loop on the end, Forearem Replaced with a piece of Fir, 4 Digit Serial #5xxx, could be a 45-70 Caliber.

So what model Ballard is it Boys? Any and All help will appriecated. Any Idea what the value is worth as is?

Hung my name on it just want to know exacatly what it is worth.

wincollector
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

It sure sounds like a Ballard #5 Pacific model! The two dovetails under the barrel were for a cleaning rod. These were hickory, and fit through the original forearm, into the front of the receiver. Pacififcs ar easily detected by the 3 holes in the front of the receiver, visable with the forearm removed.
The DST triggers are standard for this model, and usually repaired easily. Sometimes they just need the set screw adjusted, or a good cleaning. The parts needed to fix this gun can be purchased from Ballard, or make them yourself, if you're handy.
Sorry I can't tell you a price on your future purchase, without a personal inspection.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!