JN Marlin Ballard #5 Pacific

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

tanstaafl
Beginner

JN Marlin Ballard #5 Pacific

Post by tanstaafl »

MY neighbor sold me a #5 Pacific which had been in his family for many decades. It is chamberd 45-70, in great condition with a pristine bore. I have shot it with 500 grain cast bullets Trail Boss loads and the accuracy is outstanding.

Not sure if posting photos is allowed, tried both IMG and HTML codes, but no go.
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Re: JN Marlin Ballard #5 Pacific

Post by Sure-Shot »

need to use aweb host such as photobucket,which is free then use the [[Img]link to put it in your post.
GBOT, GBUSA
tanstaafl
Beginner

Post by tanstaafl »

Thanks for the info, Photobucket is a no go, so put on another hosting site.

Today I tried to remove buttstock, but after removing the long stock bolt (screw) cannot get the buttstock freed up to take it off? I can see no obvious reason, don't want to get western with it and damage, could there be another reason, or just sticking after these many years of oil, dirt and grime?

tanstaafl
Beginner

Post by tanstaafl »

Got the buttstock off, was not a job for the faint hearted. It took a straight back pull that taxed these old bones.

When I reinstall it I will be applying a light coat of bees wax to the metal parts to prevent seizing, thought at first about Johnson's paste wax. What do others apply, if anything?
tanstaafl
Beginner

Post by tanstaafl »

Forgot to include this question in earlier email.

Were all Ballard recievers and levers color case hardened only, or could other finishes be had?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Most were cased, but bluing and nickle were also available as special order options.
Once you've got the buttstock off, then it usually wont stick again if you clean the outside of the tang up well. I've never waxed or treated them, but I'm sure beeswax wont hurt anything.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
tanstaafl
Beginner

Post by tanstaafl »

Thanks for the reply. I was curious about possibility that some receivers may have been blued, as all the metal finish including receiver on mine is now almost a plum brown except for traces of blue under forestock wood.

But when I called John Dutcher to order his book on Ballards, he said to his knowledge none were ever blued except for a few that had been nickel or silver plated. But he said it is not unusual for some receivers to turn brown. And as I am learning, never say never about Ballards, for they have a history like few other firearms
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

tanstaafl wrote:Thanks for the reply. I was curious about possibility that some receivers may have been blued, as all the metal finish including receiver on mine is now almost a plum brown except for traces of blue under forestock wood.

But when I called John Dutcher to order his book on Ballards, he said to his knowledge none were ever blued except for a few that had been nickel or silver plated. But he said it is not unusual for some receivers to turn brown. And as I am learning, never say never about Ballards, for they have a history like few other firearms
Not sure why John made that statement as he had two blued receiver gorgeous engraved Ballards on his table at Kansas City when his book came out, and I got my copy. They most certainly made blued receivers as an option, although very rare. Maybe he was referring to the #5 Pacific specifically, and meant he'd not seen a #5 blued.
tanstaafl
Beginner

Post by tanstaafl »

You could be right, for doubt few arms manufactures back then turned down such simple special orders. At a show in Cody WY I once saw an 1886 Winchester that had been factory browned, IIRC, the guy even had the Winchester letter on it. But my question to John was, were any Ballard receivers ever blued.

BTW, John no longer takes CC for book orders when called, he now prefers checks, said he has to change the wording on the site to reflect change. Maybe he just got tired of hearing the same questions asked ad nauseam.

http://www.ballardriflebook.com/index.html
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I was quite surprised when John showed up at the KC show with his books hot off the presses. I had planned on ordering one, but having it peronally signed at the show was a treat. I also was priviledged to sit with John during the MFCA meeting and talk about Ballards and singleshot rifles in general. He's a wealth of knowledge on all type of early singleshots, which is my main area of interest too.