Almost There...

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

.22-5-40
Beginner

Almost There...

Post by .22-5-40 »

Hello, everyone. The only thing I am waiting on now before I can get the little Ballard No. 3 in .25-25 Stevens shooting is cases. I have an original Ideal No. 3 dbl. adjustable chamber nickled tong tool, as well as an RCBS 3 die set in .25-25. I have cast up various weight bullets from Ideal moulds..I have wanted a .25 for years.. so bought up several Ideals/Lymans and Winchester moulds, from 77gr. up to 100. The twist is 1-12". I have decided to play it safe, and use only black,,for starters anyway. I had to drive across state to find some Swiss 1 1/2 & FFFG. Last weekend, I made up a 36" 1/4"dia. brass drop tube. With a brass ferril on end for case stop, & brass funnel on other. 1'X1"X5" hard maple block, with set-screw, holds tube & is in turn held in bench vice. Bullets all nicely sized & lubed with SPG. I will let you know how everything works. Oh, I recieved a very helpful tip over on the ASSRA site. The front dight is a windage adjustable. It had only one insert. I have a set of original inserts for a Winchester sight that were a perfect fit, except the sight clip was a bit loose. I would have hated to have a new set made. The suggestion was to cut a piece out of a rubber band & place it in bottom of sight slot. I needed a piece about 1/16" high..the bands width was a close fit. This worked perfect! Insert must be pressed down & clip pushed into place..nice and snug!..and can't see it unless looking right at muzzle. Most everyone you meet in this single-shot game are very friendly and helpful folks.