ballard serial # 193 updated 10:45 pm 12/3

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

jspina
Beginner

ballard serial # 193 updated 10:45 pm 12/3

Post by jspina »

My ballard is serial # 193. It's stamped on the barrel, receiver ,extractor, forearm and butt plate. The barrel is also stamped 44 and it is a 44 caliber. It has the reversable firing pin and external extractor. The mystery to me is that is has the 3 line markings of JM Marlin with the 1875 pat date. Any help on identifying this will be much appreciated since it does not seem to show up in the references that I have. I do not yet have the Dutcher book. (30" round barrel, "S" lever, two range rear flip up sight, blade front sight, good working order, lever locking stud broken off. Was able to remove falling block to check for serial #. It is also marked #193 on each half of the block.

Thx
Jim
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Re: ballard serial # 193 updated 10:45 pm 12/3

Post by Hunt4em »

Jim,
On page 97 of Dutcher's book is the No. 0 rifle. He states that he has recorded 16 guns from serial #1-195 and describes them just as you have described. Sounds as though you have an untouched early Marlin Ballard. I would highly recommend that you pick up a copy of Dutcher's book. It is packed full of useful information and lots of good pictures.

John
jspina
Beginner

Post by jspina »

Thanks for the info, John. The Dutcher book has been shipped and I look forward to reading it. I will post some pics of the Ballard tomorrow. Looks like it's chambered for the .44 Ballard extra long cartridge.

I was born in New Haven and lived there for many years. I ran an antique shop there in the 60s and one day Frank Kenna sent his top gunsmith in to buy a model 90 that I had. (410 o/u serial number 100, mint) In those days you could find them for $35. Hmmmm...

Jim
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

Jim,
Dutcher wrote that most of the No. 0 Ballards he examined were chambered for the .44 extra long. As for the Model 90 in .410, wow, that would of been one to hold onto but back then you probably had no idea of the rarity. I think most of us have at least one of those moments we regret. Do you have any other Ballards? If you don't, I hope you know they are addictive and since you have a No. 0, the next logical step would be to find a No.1 then a No. 1 1/2, then 1 3/4 then 2 etc.... This may sound irrational to someone that's not suffering with Ballard Brain! Looking forward to seeing some pics.

John
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

So whatever happened to the pictures of the Ballard? Sure wish they would have been posted!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!