Disassembly

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Slingshot
Beginner

Disassembly

Post by Slingshot »

Hi,
Working on a project #2 sporting rifle. After removing finger lever screw, breachblock can only be "pushed" down so far, but not enough to clear the rear part of the receiver..Is there a particular angle the breachblock must be in for it to clear the rec'. ? Seems breachblock is too large for removal. The extractor is missing. Would removing the stock(incorrect, homemade) help? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Slingshot
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Re: Disassembly

Post by Hunt4em »

Slingshot,
The only thing I have come across with these old ballards not wanting to come apart, is years and years of dirt. I would remove the stock and give it a good soak in some Kroil. It's usually dirt on the underside of the breach block on the frame or block itself that holds it from dropping out. Keep us posted!

John
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Is the extractor completely gone, or broken off? If it's still partially there then it needs to come out before the block will drop. If not, then often times you need to give a little push back on the block as you pull down on the lever. As John mentioned they often hang up from years of dirt accumulation, so it may take some effort and lube to get it to move.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Slingshot
Beginner

Post by Slingshot »

Gentlemen,
Thanx for the reply.. Finally got the critter out. Have it soaking in penetrating solution in a sonic cleaner..Looks as if the previous owners attempted to remove the firing pin screw without luck..buggered. Now to have someone drill out old screw.. at times hammer will not stay cocked.. maybe worn trigger or hammer..Any suggestions as to where to send it?? Being in WV, options are few.
Thanx again,
Slingshot
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

Slingshot,
When the action is opened on these Ballards, the hammer is automatically moved to the half cock position so the firing pin is not resting on the cartridge. If the action is forced open with the hammer at full cock it breaks the sear on the hammer or trigger. Unfortunately this is very common and is remedied by replacing the broken part. You might get lucky like I did once when I bought a #3 that turned out to be a very poor homemade spring.

John
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

Slingshot, I would highly recommend getting a copy of John Dutcher's book, Ballard-The Great American Single Shot Rifle. It's full of information and if nothing else, it's just a really cool gun book!!
irish1861
Beginner

Post by irish1861 »

Last year I purchased an R. Ball carbine at the Baltimore show. Block would not drop completely and stoppage caused a steel on steel sound so I figured it was not dirt. Removing the butt stock allowed me to peer into and insert a thin, flat ruler through the rear of the receiver at the same time sliding along the left side of the block. The hammer screw had backed out sufficiently to prevent the block to drop out 100%. Not wanting to force the block down and unable to turn the screw back in, I was able to use a small flat file to file down the head of the screw thereby allowing the block to drop all the way down. Apparently insufficient lubrication allowed the hammer to turn counter clockwise each time the hammer was released. I have never seen this before nor afterwards but it did happen to me. Best part about this is that I was able to negotiate a better price from the dealer.
Slingshot
Beginner

Post by Slingshot »

Again thanx for the suggestions.
I had to take the breachblock to a machine shop here in the Eastern panhandle of WV to get it apart. They did a marvelous job!!! I was afraid I'd bugger the screws. Several screws were drilled out and a broken spring needs replacement. Also a crack next to the screw hole on the hammer was found. Question about the firing pin..It's about 9/16" long, rectangle with a very small protrusion on the end. The firing pin screw goes into the right side of the breachblock to a "blind " threaded left side hole. Is this the reversable type? Now..will be looking for parts.
Slingshot
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Slingshot;

You never said what caliber your Number 2 Sporting rifle is. Not all Number 2's were of a caliber that would need a reversible firing pin, so not knowing the caliber, we cannot tell you if it has the reversible firing pin.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Slingshot
Beginner

Post by Slingshot »

Gunrunner:
Without slugging the barrel or making a cast, the best I can do is a rough measurement at the muzzel end. Turns out .298 thru .309. .32 cal comes to mind.
BTW, This piece has a enclosed finger loop lever, not unlike the Pacific model.
Slingshot
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

All the early Ballards had the closed loop lever, so your's must be an early one. The crack in the hammer is very common, and surprisingly it wont affect function so it doesn't need repairing. Seems it's a stress crack from the hammer pivot screw hole and once it cracks the stress relieves and it wont go further.
If your firing pin is rectangular in shape then it is a reversible. All the centerire pins were round. Ballard Rifle Co. in Mich. will have all the parts you need.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Slingshot
Beginner

Post by Slingshot »

Thanx guys,info and all, great site.
Slingshot ...WV 25428