Latest Theory Model 93 Serial Numbers

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Latest Theory Model 93 Serial Numbers

Post by Parley Baer »

OK, after the rediscovery on my 1934 J.L. Galef catalog I may have solved the Model 93 serial numbering system. Here goes my latest theory.

The 1921 to 1924 Corporation era. I believe the serial numbers for the Model 93 in this time frame started at 1 and went into the high 3000 range. I have a high of 3978 in my list and a low of 200. The interesting thing is there are no serial numbers in the 4000 range reported and I think this is important. Scattered through out this range are bullseyes and stars. This range includes all types of rifles, carbines and sporting carbines and the 4 calibers are represented.

The New Marlin Firearms Company. 1926 to 1935 era. I believe they resumed the serial number only system and started with 5000 and went up from there. I have recorded a low of 5145 and a high of 967X. I do not have any .32-40's reported so far. Most are .30-30 or .32 Special or HPS with and a rare 38-55. The bullseyes and stars get heavier as the serial numbers increase. Rifles, carbines and sporting carbines are in this group.

Now I believe sometime around 1930 or so the A serial numbers came into being and so did the C prefixes and suffixes. The reason I say this is there are hardly any stars or bullseyes in these groups. I think the company was trying to save money during the depression and eliminated them. The A serial numbers all have 20" barrels whether rifle or carbine. The C prefix and suffixes are all carbines.

It is pretty well know that a group of rifles with an L prefix was made up and sold in 1935. I think this pretty well rounds out things. IMHO this all makes since.
It's a chancey job and it makes a man watchfull....and a little lonely.
azhusker
Pro-Marksman

Re: Latest Theory Model 93 Serial Numbers

Post by azhusker »

As a reminder, I recently reported to you a Model 93 with serial number 9239, 30-30 caliber, "Corporation" marked barrel, bullseye stock, and star on the tang. If your assumptions are correct, this serial number would date the gun about five years after the "Company" took over. That seems like a long time for a left-over barrel to show up. What does your research show for the length of time such barrels were used?
Cornhusker Dave
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I'll hold off accepting they started at #1 until we see some show up under #200. Can't make assumptions without at least some reference guns.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Post by Parley Baer »

No problem for the under #200. However in the Model 39 we have numbers reported lower. I would not see any reason why the Model 93 would not follow suit. However I agree and I'm willing to wait.

As to the Marlin Firearms Corporation barrels they appear to be used right up to the end. Even the L prefix serial number rifles have Marlin Firearms Corporation barrels and they are known to have been made in 1935. I would assume the Company was saving money by using the old barrel stamps.
bcorinnehiggs
Beginner

Post by bcorinnehiggs »

We just came into possession of a Marlin Model 93 32 HPS with a star on the tang and a serial number of 112. Weve been trying to find out when this was made and it's possible value. Does it appear we may have solved the question about the serial number starting lower than 200? When does that mean this gun was manufactured? Does anyone know what it would be valued at?
jorgy
Marksman 1st Class

Post by jorgy »

I seen at a gun show several years a 1893 Marlin in 30/30 with a "A" prefix to the serial number. This gun was a pistol grip & takedown with a half oct half rd barrel & half mag.
It was a full deluxe. Was the factory making deluxe models that late? I have been lead to believe
they did not make any deluxe rifles after 1915 when they entered into wartime production.
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Post by Parley Baer »

bcorinnehiggs, could you post all the data off the rifle such as the name on the barrel etc. I will enter it in our Model 93 data base. Also the configuration such as carbine, rifle and barrel length etc. Thank You.

Jorgy, I have seen quite a few 1893 deluxe rifles in those serial number ranges with the A, B, C, and D prefixes.
bcorinnehiggs
Beginner

Post by bcorinnehiggs »

Gun Details:

Model 93

Barrel says Marlin Firearms Company, New Haven, CT, USA Patented October 11, 1887. April 2, 1889. August 1, 1893.
"Special Smokeless Steel" written on barrel, .32 HPS
Star on the tang
Marlin Safety stamped on the top.
Under the lever is a serial number that is simply 112
Barrel lenth is roughly 25 1/2
magazine extends almost as far as barrel 1/4 inch less. approx.
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Post by Parley Baer »

Thank you, I will enter the data from your rifle. If my theory holds true than you have a rifle made around 1922 or possibly late 1921. The internet makes this research so much easier than say 15 years ago. As to value your best bet is to look at rifles like on Gunbroker and other sites to find rifles in a like condition of yours and go from there.

Edit: by the way is the barrel on your rifle round or octagon? Thanks
bcorinnehiggs
Beginner

Post by bcorinnehiggs »

Parley Baer wrote:Thank you, I will enter the data from your rifle. If my theory holds true than you have a rifle made around 1922 or possibly late 1921. The internet makes this research so much easier than say 15 years ago. As to value your best bet is to look at rifles like on Gunbroker and other sites to find rifles in a like condition of yours and go from there.

Edit: by the way is the barrel on your rifle round or octagon? Thanks
The barrel is round. Thanks for your help.
bigbore45colt
Beginner

Post by bigbore45colt »

Parley Bear,

Rick and I have been exchanging some emails regarding an 1893 that I have...s/n L701. It has Corporation on the barrel, no star, no bullseye. It's a 20" round barrel, 32 Special, with 2/3 mag.

BB45C
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Post by Parley Baer »

Hi bigbore45colt

I assume this is a sporting carbine and has the serial number under the lever? I will enter the information in the data base. Thank You
bigbore45colt
Beginner

Post by bigbore45colt »

Yes, that is correct. Sporting Carbine, s/n under the lever.
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Post by Parley Baer »

Interesting that the few I have so far in the higher serial numbers(700up) for the L prefix are sporting carbines. All the lower numbered ones are all 24" round barrel rifles except L41X which is a sporting carbine. As time goes by we shall see how much this changes.
bigbore45colt
Beginner

Post by bigbore45colt »

Hey Parley - here's another one for you...

L812 - same configuration as mine above (sporting carbine, no bullseye, no star, Corporation on the barrel). It's on GunsAmerica right now and it has been restored but thought it worthwhile to get you the s/n, just in case.

BB45C