Marlin Model 1936

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

yerpdog
Beginner

Marlin Model 1936

Post by yerpdog »

I have a Marlin "Model 1936" with a serial number B9968 or B9 something, it is a 32 special rifle version. I was wondering what the produciton numbers are for the two years the 1936 was made. And I was wondering if anybody knows exactly how rare this gun is. It is a family heirloom and will never leave the family but I just want some info. I still shoot it on a regular basis and I can take down some decent shots at 200+ yards. It shoots better than any 30-30 and has plenty more take down power. Can anybody help me out or point me in the right direction, i've gone through thousands of internet sites and nobody knows what they are talking about usually when it comes to this gun. I've heard everything from they never made the gun in 1937 which is not true as I can plainly see by the cold hard stamp under the lever. And that my gun has to be a model 36, which also isn't true because it's stamped from Marlin "Model 1936". If I can get some help I would appreciate it.

- Brad -
GEOFF
Beginner

Re: Marlin Model 1936

Post by GEOFF »

Yerpdog,

I wish I could help you out but your questions are over my head. All I know is that I like the flat bolt on the older Marlins over the round bolt of the Marlin 336. I have a 1948 vintage Marlin 336 and it is the smoothest lever action that I own, so there is nothing wrong there either, its just that the flat bolt looks better in my opinion.

Hopefully one of the knowledgeable Marlin guys will see your questions and try to answer. Sorry I can't help you myself!

Geoff
yerpdog
Beginner

Post by yerpdog »

Thanks Geoff,

It's crazy, this gun has been handed down through the family like most other guns our family owns. And now I come to find out it was the least produced version of a gun that was barely made for two years. It has just as much detail as the 308MX and it has an action which looks about the same as the 1894CL. It's the nicest lever action gun i've ever used and it has some real take down power. The only downside is most 32 special ammo isn't made very well and there are so few companies that have it available, remington is the most common but it is slighty inconsistent when it comes to accuracy. The best I could find was hand loaded from a local fellow back home. Seems I have a gun that is amazing for hunting but not so good when it comes to finding anything for it, or about it.. I hope I never need new parts, and if I do I hope they are the same specs as ones from other model Marlins.

- Brad -
Four-Eyed Buck
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Four-Eyed Buck »

The 1936 was indeed only made for one year. Then they made some internal changes and brought it out as the Model 36. I believe the difference is a coil spring for the hammer instead of a flat one. Parts for the 1893, and 93 should work in it, if not, maybe with some judicious fitting they will. I've got an 1893 in 38-55 that is an accurate shooter. Not much on looks, but shoots great. It took some experimentation hand loading for it, but once I hit the right load, it was golden. To get an accurate load for your particular gun, you're going to have to resort to hand loading for it. There are components available to assemble your own. You need to slug the barrel to get the correct diam. bullet for it. If you're looking at lead, go .001 to .002 over bore diam. and you should have a good fit bullet wise.
There are some good people on here that have more experience with all four models that should be able to answer some of your other questions better than I. Give them some time, they'll get to you......................Buck 8)
If Marlin made SA revolvers, I'd be shooting those, too!!!
Don Anderson
Distinguished Expert

Post by Don Anderson »

Hi:

Your Model 1936 with the "B" prefix in the serial number was made in 1941. The first four years of the Model 1936, the guns were idententical in every respect. In 1937, in the catalog only, the nomenclature was changed to Model 36, but no changes were made on the gun internally or cosmetically, until 1941 when your B was made. The flute was taken out of the buttstock, a new style butt plate was added, the main spring went from a leaf type to a coil type and the forearm was changed from the perchbelly style to a beavertail style. This was the last year for a case colored receiver. The upper tang was still marked Model 1936, but the tang was shortened. After the war, in 1946, the marking on the upper tang was eliminated and Model 36 was added to the barrel markings. The receivers were now blued. The Model 36 continued in 1947 and the early part of 1948. In June of 1948, the model was changed, the square bolt was changed to a round bolt and it now became the Model 336.

Don

Don
Leverdude
Marksman

Post by Leverdude »

Dons got it right.
The model 36 was only made for 2 years but the 1936 was made until 1946.
The 32special is a good calibre but no more powerful than a 30/30. Sounds like a gun to be proud of for sure! :D
Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/?

Freedoms not free!
Support your NRA!
yerpdog
Beginner

Post by yerpdog »

Leverdude wrote:Dons got it right.
The model 36 was only made for 2 years but the 1936 was made until 1946.
The 32special is a good calibre but no more powerful than a 30/30. Sounds like a gun to be proud of for sure! :D
I've chrono'd my 32 specials bullet speed at a little less than 2,250 ft/s and i've shot 4 of my 30-30's and got a top of 2,198 ft/s.. I've even looked online and specs on both bullets have speed specs about the same as I got. And according to a hornandy rep. which is now making 32 special ammo the 32 has about 7-10% more take down power..

But back to my original post. If anybody has a Model 1936 made in 1937 whether it be a Carbine, a Sporting Carbine, or the model I have, which seems to be the rarest, a Rifle version. Could you tell me what you know?..

- Brad -
Nardo
Beginner

Post by Nardo »

Brad

Not sure what I can add beyond what Don said. I have a B prefix 1936 which I figured was made in 1941. It is a 30-30 rifle, case hardened receiver, square bolt, round barrel, half mag, beavertail fore stock and non fluted buttstock. It is a nice shooter and an attractive rifle.

It has a coil main spring rather than the older flat spring. I can tell you it is much harder to disassemble a 1936 than an 1893, primarily due to that coil spring. I had trouble with mine not striking the primer hard enough so after giving the bolt a good cleaning (to no avail) I started adjusting the tension on the coil spring. Sort of a nice feature (adjustabilty) but I've never had to worry about adjustment on any of my 1893s or 1894s with the flat spring. Anyway, this adjusting required numerous disaasemblies and reassemblies of the receiver -- what a pain! You need at least three hands.

I like the 1936 since its still case hardened and still has the flat bolt as opposed to round bolt of the later 336s. However, I prefer the 1893s. I like octogonal barrels and I like the style of the older stocks. The 1936 forestock is way too heavy for my taste and the pistol grip stock isn't as attractive as the earlier versions with the S shaped grip bottom. I also think the fluting on the comb (which I think they dropped with the B series) was nicer looking than the buttstock on the B series.

As to rarity, I never thought the 1936 was particluarly rare. Certainly the prices don't seem to reflect that. Uncommon might be a better description.

Since mine's a 30-30 I have to stick up for the cartridge that's killed more deer than any other ;-) Seriously, I think the ballistics are very close; both good rounds.

All in all, a nice rifle, but then again, what Marlin lever action isn't?

Mike
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Here's a tip to making that coil spring adjustment easier. After removing the stock, and the hammer screw, loosen the front triggeplate screw a couple turns. This allows the lower tang to drop just enough to relocate the spring retainer. You can then screw the front plate screw in, and the tang screw in, to hold it while you assemble the hammer screw. Then pull the stock screw out and reinstall the stock. A small flat punch helps align the screw holes for the hammer.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
win6798
Beginner

Post by win6798 »

I have a "1936" with no prefix serial #83XX. Carbine when would this have been manufactured ?
Don Anderson
Distinguished Expert

Post by Don Anderson »

Win6798:
Marlin does not have the serial numbers by years during this period. You have a first Model 1936 and considering the serial number in the 8300 range, I would guess it was probably made in 1938, the third year of production.

Don
yerpdog
Beginner

Post by yerpdog »

V Full Size Image V
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/Y ... el1936.jpg

This is my Model 1936..

V Full Size Image V
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/Y ... 36Open.jpg

Same Gun..

V Full Size Image V
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/Y ... Number.jpg

Here's the serial..

V Full Size Image V
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/Y ... Detail.jpg

Here is the stamp behind the Hammer..

V Full Size Image V
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/Y ... sembly.jpg

Stock..

V Full Size Image V
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/Y ... 6Stock.jpg

Fine Detail..

V Full Size Image V
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/Y ... prefix.jpg

Here is the Marlin manual indicating my B Prefix is infact a Model 1936

V Full Size Image V
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/Y ... prefix.jpg

Here it indicates C prefixes and after are Model 36's

Apparently my model is an in between from the original model 1936's with regular stocks and The full production Model 36's with the improved stocks.. Mine fits in Between..
Last edited by yerpdog on Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
yerpdog
Beginner

Post by yerpdog »

Oh yeah, Nardo. Your gun should have been made the same timeframe mine was if it's a B prefix.. Look at my last post in the manual where it says the b prefix was a model 1936 but the problem comes when you go to find out when the B prefix model 1936's were made. So far calling Marlin headquarters only got me so far as to find out C prefix model 36's were made until 1948.. No difinitave answer was given to when the b prefix 1936's were made.. A rep there said he thinks they were made until 1937 or 1938..

And if you happen to have a Marlin Firearms: A history of the guns and the Company that made them.. You can read on page 247 and I quote..

"Production of the Model 1936 rifle was started in late 1936 for the 1937 market. The 1936 model designation was used into 1937, when it was changed to Model 36..."

So I guess production proboably halted in late 1937 early 1938..

Also I have the the Bullseye on the bottom of the butt stock which was discontinued in early 1938 only to be put back on marlin rifles some time later..
Don Anderson
Distinguished Expert

Post by Don Anderson »

yerpdog:
Your B prefix Model 1936ADL Deluxe, is a scarce model 1936. It is one of approximately 50 only deluxe Model 1936's made. The swivel bases on it are correct. They are the same bases
and the quick disconnect swivels that Winchester used on their deluxe Models 64 and 71's. The difference was Winchester inletted the bases into the wood, whereas Marlin only used wood screws to mount them directly on the wood. If you go to Brophy's book to page 668, the second paragraph from the bottom, Bill talks about these swivels and the deluxe Model 1936's.

There were some Model 1936's assembled after war from parts on hand. These few did have case colored receivers and Marlin used a capital "C" as a preface in the serial number. Sometime in 1946, when Marlin started bluing the receivers and dropped the Model 1936 nomenclature from the upper tang and started putting Model 36 on the barrel, they began using the small case "c" as a prefix in the serial number on these models.

I have had three on these case colored Model 1936 Deluxes and have kept a record of the few known. I have approximately 14 confirmed deluxes on this list. I would appreciate having your serial number, so I could add it to this list. You can send it to my email address at danderson17@sbcglobal.net I'd really apprecite it.

Don
Don Anderson
Distinguished Expert

Post by Don Anderson »

yerpdog.

Sorry, no need to send your serial number to me, as when I went back to look at your pictures, I saw the serial number there.

Don