Model 1892 from 1903 mechanics operation and parts

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

cinvic
Beginner

Model 1892 from 1903 mechanics operation and parts

Post by cinvic »

I was given a Marlin Model 1892 Serial 265xxx made in 1903 from what I've been able to find. I've been scouring the internet for detailed info on the working of the mechanisms to determine if the rifle is complete and operable or not. The firing pin is very suspicious so I am fairly confident that that will need to be replaced. I however am not familiar enough with how this marlin should operate to determine if the feed, load, fire, extract and eject functions properly. just running through some sequences with caps there are issues with feeding and loading in chamber. Does anyone have some detailed photos or exploded views of this rifles mechanics so I can tell what parts might be missing? Thank you and I'm really excited about working on this rifle and possibly bringing it back to life.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 1892 from 1903 mechanics operation and parts

Post by marlinman93 »

I would not expect caps to function and feed properly, even with everything working properly. If I was checking function I'd slide the firing pin out of the breech bolt, and cycle live rounds through it to check function. This way there's no chance of accidental discharge, so you can be assured it cycles properly.
Numrich Gun Parts has parts diagrams if you want to see if it's all there.

Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
cinvic
Beginner

Post by cinvic »

Thank you much for the response and info. I did find that parts list and have been on the Numrich, Wisner and Homestead Parts websites looking at parts but have had a tough time identifying all the parts and which ones may be applicable to my specific rifle. I do know the ejector is missing. I removed the firing pin (which needs to be replaced as well since it looks nothing like new ones do) and tried to cycle live rounds. No success. When cycling the lever to pull a single round into the housing it seems multiply rounds are allowed to enter into the housing and it's not possible to move the lever back into the closed position to chamber the round. The catch that's screwed into the housing at the magazine feed doesn't seem to engage the round to stop multiply rounds from being pushed into the housing by the magazine spring. See pictures and let me know if you see anything missing just at a glance. See two pictures at links below.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubv58ehndk2o8 ... 1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ssnyz6ijjiu91 ... 2.jpg?dl=0
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Cinvic;

From the first photo, it would appear that the Magazine Cartridge Cutoff is very worn. It should stick out far enough to cut off the magazine cartridges from entering the lifter or carrier so the next cartridge cannot enter while operating the lever. When the lever moves back forward to the firing position, the section of the breech bolt that hangs down will depress the cartridge cutoff and allow the next cartridge to enter the lifter or carrier. As it is now with the cutoff worn, there is nothing to stop the next cartridge from exiting the magazine.
Your firing pin is not correct as you suspected and you can see the correct shape in the Numrich diagram.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Check out Wisner's Gun Parts. They will likely have all you need to get your 1892 running.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/model/marlin- ... n-rimfire/
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
cinvic
Beginner

Post by cinvic »

Thanks so much for the input from both of you. I have identified a few parts I'm going to replace but that wasn't one of them but it will be now. The ejector was missing and someone had just jammed a spring in the grove which wasn't doing what it needed to do so that one part I need. The firing pin is the other. It looks like I can get what I need from Wisner's and Numrich but neither has a magazine cut-off. Any ideas on other places to shop?
cinvic
Beginner

Post by cinvic »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:56 pm Cinvic;

From the first photo, it would appear that the Magazine Cartridge Cutoff is very worn. It should stick out far enough to cut off the magazine cartridges from entering the lifter or carrier so the next cartridge cannot enter while operating the lever. When the lever moves back forward to the firing position, the section of the breech bolt that hangs down will depress the cartridge cutoff and allow the next cartridge to enter the lifter or carrier. As it is now with the cutoff worn, there is nothing to stop the next cartridge from exiting the magazine.
Your firing pin is not correct as you suspected and you can see the correct shape in the Numrich diagram.
With some playing around I was able to get the magazine cartridge cut-off to depress when the breach bolt was closed so a round would enter the magazine. When the finger level was cycled and open with the breech bolt open the magazine cartridge cut-off would engage the rounds and keep them from entering the magazine. Extraction was working properly as well and the only issue I had was with ejection and the firing pin. New parts have been ordered from Wisner's and should arrive sometime this week.
The only remaining issue I have at the moment is that the last round in the feed tube is not forced into the magazine. It appears there is something missing in the feed tube assembly. The feed tube spring works properly. What I've noticed is that there is a gap between where the feed tube stops and the magazine entrance. This gap is slightly longer than a 22LR round so the last round in the tube doesn't have any spring pressure to force it to feed.
Thanks so much for the insight.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Cinvic;

I could suggest that you run a cleaning rod in the magazine tube after soaking it with solvent. But, you would have to remove the tube from the barrel and hope it stays together. You could then soak the inside with some solvent to help loosen any "crud" built up inside the tube preventing the follower from complete travel to push the last cartridge out of the tube. You would then use cleaning rod on the inside after soaking it and then push the follower up inside tube. If the tube assembly comes apart, it can be a real task to get it back together without help.

cinvic
Beginner

Post by cinvic »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:03 pm Cinvic;

I could suggest that you run a cleaning rod in the magazine tube after soaking it with solvent. But, you would have to remove the tube from the barrel and hope it stays together. You could then soak the inside with some solvent to help loosen any "crud" built up inside the tube preventing the follower from complete travel to push the last cartridge out of the tube. You would then use cleaning rod on the inside after soaking it and then push the follower up inside tube. If the tube assembly comes apart, it can be a real task to get it back together without help.
Thanks!
I did remove the magazine tube from the barrel. The dove tail is loose so I'll have to address that at some point. As for the mag tube assembly the feed end looked like it had been messed with at some point in the past that just about mangled it. I think I figured out how it's supposed to operate and cleaned it up as best as possible and made some adjustments and such to get the follower to travel better. One question, should the traveler stop as shown in the picture? This stop still doesn't completely push the last round into the housing. It now travels far enough to push the last round past the mag cartridge cut-off but leaves it a bit shy of fully in as you can see in the picture. While I'm sure it's not how it's supposed to work its closer than it was.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i0itf0ssctms1 ... 3.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bivkfj96535pm ... 4.jpg?dl=0
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Cinvic;

You should be able to see the end of the cartridge follower in the hole of the receiver when the magazine tube is empty. Since you cannot see it or the fact that the cartridges do not come all the way out does mean you need to fix the end of the magazine tube so the follower can get to the end of the magazine tube.
From what I see in the photo, you may need to push the follower up inside the tube, then use a round rasp to file the inside of the tube end just enough to allow the follower to get all the way out where it needs to be.
Good luck.........