Seeking Education & Assistance - Marlin Model '97

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

fwwilsonii
Beginner

Seeking Education & Assistance - Marlin Model '97

Post by fwwilsonii »

Greetings,

My father-in-law passed down to me what I believe is a Marlin Model 97, lever action. with serial number 358711(last two may be II). I have contacted the Cody Firearms Records Office and was told their records end at 35000 - I was told this was the place to communicate with. I have photographs but appear unable to add them to this post. The records office believes possibly 1906-1908 origin. In advance, thank you.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Seeking Education & Assistance - Marlin Model '97

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Fwwillsonii;

Your .22 caliber lever action could well be a Model '97. The model designation will be marked on the upper tang, behind the hammer. There was another .22 caliber lever action in production at the time, a Model '92.
With a serial number in the 358,000 range, it will be a 1907 production gun. The records do end in December of 1906, with the serial numbers in the 355,500 range, so your gun is a mere 3,000 above that, putting it in the 1907 time frame.
The standard version of the Model '97 or '92 was a 24 inch round or octagon barrel with a full magazine. The difference between the Model '97 and the Model '92 is that the Model '97 is a take-down version that breaks down into two sections whereas the Model '92 is not a take-down, and only side-plate is removable in order to clean the gun.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
fwwilsonii
Beginner

Post by fwwilsonii »

First, thank you for prompt reply.

Yes, this is a Model '97, octagon barrel.

How do I locate a quality gun smith to inspect the weapon? I have fair background with current model handguns, rifles, but nothing like this. It has some oils that are sticky around the receiver area, and would really like to get this cleaned up and cared for please.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Fwwilsonii;

The Model '97 is one of the easiest to clean up. First, cock the hammer, then open the action slightly, then unscrew the large thumbscrew on the right side of the receiver .
With the gun pointing away from you, tip the muzzle of the barrel to the right while "breaking" the middle of the action to the left. The gun will "break" in two sections. With the front end of the action, you can now slide the breech bolt out to clean the barrel, from the breech end as recommended by Marlin. The rest of the action can be accessed now, too.
Know that the Model '97 is a black powder gun. It was not made to shoot modern, high speed ammunition. If you are going to shoot it, use standard velocity or target ammunition only so as not to damage the gun. Using high speed ammunition can crack the breech bolt.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.