Model 1888

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Kansasplowboy
Beginner

Model 1888

Post by Kansasplowboy »

Just recently picked up a nice Model 1888 in 32 WCF. I just assumed (probably wrongly) that it was 32-20, but could it be 32-40? I have some loaded 32-20 but haven’t fired the rifle yet, been working on cleaning up the bore a bit. Were the 32-40’s marked as such or is “32 WCF” 32-20? Am new to the Marlin collecting but am enjoying it immensely so far.
Thanks
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 1888

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Kansasplowbot;

The Marlin Model 1888 was made in three calibers. The .32-20. .38-40 and .44-40 only. The gun was usually marked with the caliber and WCF after the first two digits of the caliber.
Welcome to the Marlin collecting fraternity. Like many here, you will find lots of enjoyment in the chase and learning the subject. You started with one of the more rare models, so you are off to a good start!
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Kansasplowboy
Beginner

Post by Kansasplowboy »

Thanks for the reply gunrunner. I think I answered my own question after doing more research but what made me ask the question was Brophy’s book on page 167 dealing with the 1888 model. It shows 1298 being made in 32/40, 1776 in 38/40, and 1727 in 44/40. I assume it must me a mistake because that is the only reference I can find referring to the 32/40 in the ‘88. My serial number is 23583, 24” octagon.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Kansasplowboy;

I see what you mean. I looked at the section of the Brophy book. Reading the entire section, an ad for the Model 1888 shows that the Model 1888 was made in ".32, .38 and .44 WCF" cartridges. At the time, WCF was for Winchester Center Fire cartridges, which were the calibers of the Model 1873 Winchester, adopted by other gun companies like Colt, Merwin-Hulbert & Company and of course Marlin.
While writing the book, Brophy had help from his secretary at Marlin. She pulled all the serial number information from the records, and we now know that she did make a few mistakes interrupting the information. That may have been one, or a typo that Brophy did not catch at editing.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.