Marlin Model 27 Receiver Question

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

johnbabtist
Beginner

Marlin Model 27 Receiver Question

Post by johnbabtist »

I recently purchased a nice and kind of hard to find Marlin Model 27. Gun is very good overall condition but the receiver appears to have a somewhat polished reflective nitrate finish that does show a few very light scratches and spots with minor pitting. The barrel has a non-polished and reflective nitrate finish which matches pretty much every other Marlin I have. I have several other original 27-S models but none of the receivers are reflective as is the case with the 27 and am wondering if the gun receiver finish is original or not. I can provide pictures if you forward a mailing address. Thanks in advance for any responses.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Model 27 Receiver Question

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Johnbabtist;

The Marlin Model 27 was the earlier version of the Model 27-S as you know. The Model 27 was produced by the Marlin Firearms Company as owned by the Marlin family, and did have a high polish finish. The later versions of the Model 27-S were mostly produced by the Marlin-Rockwell or Marlin Firearms Corporation, and did not have that high polish as found on the earlier Marlin products. If your Model 27-S's have the trademark bullseye in the toe of the stock, then you know they were made after 1922 and will not be of the high polish finish. Some 27-S guns will not have the bullseye, but still are not the high polish finish, check the barrel markings to see if they are marked Marlin Firearms Corporation as that puts them after 1921.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
johnbabtist
Beginner

Re: Marlin Model 27 Receiver Question

Post by johnbabtist »

Thank you gunrunner! :-)