Dumb me….won it at an estate auction

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Hardtravelin
Beginner

Dumb me….won it at an estate auction

Post by Hardtravelin »

…………Had a big tag on it saying “ Early Marlin Rimfire“. I was happy to win the 22 rifle…then I noticed how large the bore was…no 22 here!!…but no caliber marking anywhere on the rifle.
My only Marlin knowledge is from the Brophy book “Marlin Firearms”. It’s a Model ‘92 (1892) chambered for 32 caliber.
I want to shoot it…the action functions smoothly.…but ammo for it is obsolete.
I am just a shooter… this rifle belongs with a collector. Serial number is 33XXXX. Original finish maybe?? very few scars….no cracks. Super nice bore.
I hope to learn the good, the bad, and the ugly about this rifle.
Please teach me.
Thank you,
Hardtravelin. New member. Ohio

Image. Image

Image. Image

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Dumb me….won it at an estate auction

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Hardtravelin;

The Marlin Model '92 was made in either .22 or .32 Colt calibers. Yours is the .32 Colt caliber, and can shoot either rim or center fire cartridges by changing the firing pin. Determine which firing in you have and order the other to have on hand. Ammunition for the center fire cartridges are available, and can be reloaded if you want to shoot your rifle. The .32 Colt cartridge was made in short, long and long rifle sizes.
Try "Old Scrounger" or Buffalo Arms for ammunition and Wisner's for firing pins.
Good luck....
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Eddie Southgate
Beginner

Re: Dumb me….won it at an estate auction

Post by Eddie Southgate »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:34 am Hardtravelin;

The Marlin Model '92 was made in either .22 or .32 Colt calibers. Yours is the .32 Colt caliber, and can shoot either rim or center fire cartridges by changing the firing pin. Determine which firing in you have and order the other to have on hand. Ammunition for the center fire cartridges are available, and can be reloaded if you want to shoot your rifle. The .32 Colt cartridge was made in short, long and long rifle sizes.
Try "Old Scrounger" or Buffalo Arms for ammunition and Wisner's for firing pins.
Good luck....
Have heard of the .32 Colt in short and long but not the long rifle . Have I missed something ? RF maybe ?