Marlin 1888 32W

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

jkirk49
Beginner

Marlin 1888 32W

Post by jkirk49 »

I have a Marlin 1888 model that's missing a couple of parts. I've been trying to find a bolt and loading gate for about 4 years now with no luck. Are there any parts out there for these or am I better off to just throw in the towel and part it out?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 1888 32W

Post by marlinman93 »

If you had the bolt I'd say to keep it and fix it. But without a bolt it's going to be almost a miracle to ever find a replacement bolt for yours. I had one with a missing loading gate, and used an 1893 Marlin loading gate I filed and shaped down to fit my 1888. It took a lot of work, but the larger loading gate had enough metal to be able to mount in the stock location, and then shape down the gate itself to fit the opening.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
jkirk49
Beginner

Re: Marlin 1888 32W

Post by jkirk49 »

Yeah, for some unknown reason I've been optimistic about finding parts for this one. I keep think that somewhere out there someone has a box of parts that they might not even know what they go to. I just picked up a model 1889 parts gun that's missing the bolt and lever for next to nothing. I already have those parts so it was a no brainer but the guy had it for sale as 1892 parts so you never know what you're gonna run across.