1894 Breech Bolt 25-20

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Gunner99
Beginner

1894 Breech Bolt 25-20

Post by Gunner99 »

Back with another question for the group, this time with an issue trying to remove the front and rear firing pins, the ejector spring is missing and the rear pin is so worn that I can almost pull it out from the rear with the pin installed. For whatever reason I cannot seem to get the roll pins/retaining pins out for either the front or rear firing pins. I've soaked the bolt in vinegar in attempts to break up rust (assuming that's the hang up), used heat, the only thing I have accomplished is bending punches and marring the bolt. Those things just aren't budging. Thought of trying to drill them out but I'm sure that will only result in broken bits and a destroyed bolt. Gonna try some stronger rust dissolver but I'm sure the easiest fix is to just get another bolt.

Any thoughts, ideas, advice from the group? Willing to try almost anything at this point.

Thanks again for the help!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1894 Breech Bolt 25-20

Post by marlinman93 »

I use an aluminum or hardwood block with a hole drilled in it. I situate the breechblock over the hole where the pin is, so it supports the block, but gives the pin a place to exit into unrestricted. Never had a stuck pin that a good quality drift punch wont get out. But I have had stuck gun parts before, and I use a 50-50 mix of acetone and ATF to soak things. Be sure to use a container with a lid as the acetone will evaporate off quickly if left open. Sometimes I soak the part for several days before attempting to remove it again. But it always works with a good base and a hole to drive pins into.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Gunner99
Beginner

Re: 1894 Breech Bolt 25-20

Post by Gunner99 »

I tried exactly as you said with a block under the bolt, even heated it up with a heat gun, all to no avail, these pins will just not budge. I will try the acetone and ATF trick and let it soak for a few days and see if that helps. If not it looks like this girl is going to be a wall hanger as I don't see any breech blocks out there for sale either. This bolt is so worn out that I can't even the other side of the pin that holds the extractor in place, it blends right in with the bolt. At first I thought the pin only had one hole but I knew that couldn't be correct. Anyway, thanks for the help!

FYI, this rifle must have been really abused and neglected as the upper tang on the receiver that holds the stock in place is broken off right at half way through the bolt hole and I don't have the missing piece and the bottom threaded tang on the finger lever is stripped out. Missing all kinds of pieces as well, somebody must have used it as a parts gun because that's about all is good for right now.

Trying my best to get it back together and operational but not sure how much money I want to stick into a rifle that probably isn't worth money required to repair.