Model 1888

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

yellowk9
Beginner

Model 1888

Post by yellowk9 »

I recently inherited a Marlin model 1888 top-eject. It has the 24" octagonal barrel and is stamped 38-W (serial # 20217). I presume based on what I've read that this shoots a .38-40 black powder cartridge. It has a mostly brown patina with little bluing left. I looked in the barrel and it doesn't appear pitted, but the rifling is shallow. I don't really know how deep the grooves should be. The wood is a deep brown and in good shape to my untrained eye for a 130+ year old gun. The loading gate will not move and appears stuck. The hammer cocks and the trigger functions. Was this model supposed to have a half-cock? If so, this one doesn't work. I'm curious if the average gunsmith could be trusted to evaluate the safety/shootability of this gun and do minor repairs? I'd love to shoot it, but only if it would be safe to do so. I don't think shooting it would affect the value given the condition. It's been in my wife's family for 5 or 6 generations and was well used but cared for prior to becoming a closet queen some time after the advent of smokeless powder. Any idea of value for insurance purposes? Thanks!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 1888

Post by marlinman93 »

The half cock on Marlin rifles is barely off full down on the hammer, so often not easily detected. Raise the hammer, and with the trigger pulled lower it down. Then slowly pull the hammer back and you might feel it go to half cock. If not, it might have a worn notch, and need to be dressed to work.
The loading gate might be blocked by the carrier if it's not functioning correctly. Try opening the lever, and then see if the gate moves. If not the carrier likely has an issue and needs fixing.
I've found very few gunsmiths who are capable of working on most old guns. If you find one be sure to keep him happy as they're few and far between!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
yellowk9
Beginner

Re: Model 1888

Post by yellowk9 »

Thanks. The half cock is non-existent no matter what I do. The gate will open if I open the lever entirely and "help" the carrier lift entirely with a finger. Once I close the breech, the gate again hits the carrier. I think it might be resolved by cleaning and monor tweaks. I hate to hear that about gunsmiths. If you know of any near Arkansas qualified to tinker with antiques I'd appreciate the info. Thanks again.