Marlin Model 94 Takedown in .38-40 Info and Value

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

walnutgun
Beginner

Marlin Model 94 Takedown in .38-40 Info and Value

Post by walnutgun »

Hello! I am new to the forum. I currently own a 336 in 35 Remington - beautiful gun. There’s a Model 94 in .38-40 available locally. It is a takedown model. Serial number is 413xxx. It seems to be in original condition and is fully operational. Bore is good. According to the current owner, it is a very accurate and good shooter. I trust what he says about it. The wood is in great shape; however, the metal finish is mostly gone. No rust present, though.

My questions are as follows:
1. Any estimate as to the date of manufacture? Brophy’s book says there are no records for this serial number range. Would any of you have an estimate?

2. Could anyone give me a range for the value? I have tried to do some research on what it might be, but can’t seem to get a good number. There aren’t many around.

3. Any other info that would be good to know about these? I’m still learning.

I will attempt to post pictures next. Thanks!
walnutgun
Beginner

Re: Marlin Model 94 Takedown in .38-40 Info and Value

Post by walnutgun »

Sorry, I don’t have an account on an image hosting site. I will work on that tomorrow I guess. I thought I’d just be able to upload to the topic.
walnutgun
Beginner

Post by walnutgun »

Think I got them loaded.

Sorry. I guess it didn’t work.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

For age I'd guess around 1911-12 era. Can't say much more until you get images sorted out.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
walnutgun
Beginner

Post by walnutgun »

Thanks. I guess I will try imagur as suggested in one of the threads here. I tried Flickr yesterday but it did not work.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I switched to Imgur when Photobucket went nuts, and blackmailed users to pay to use it. I love it, and it's extremely easy once you read through their tutorial and start posting with it.
walnutgun
Beginner

Post by walnutgun »

I think I finally figured it out. Please let me know what you think.

Image Image Image Image

walnutgun
Beginner

Post by walnutgun »

Watch clicking on the pictures. Some of the ads are not very wholesome. Sorry, I used imgbox because some of the others seemed to have questionable content. But apparently this one does, too. Sorry again.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Well it looks like a decent unmolested 1894. And if the bore is truly good enough to be a good shooter that is a plus. The caliber is one that's desirable, but not as much so as a larger .44-40 will be. Takedown adds a good premium to it if the system locks up snugly.
In it's current condition, of almost no finish left, but solid stocks that don't appear to have been sanded, I'd expect it to sell at around $1,000. Of course that's assuming the good, bore, and everything functioning and cycling perfectly. Can't get any more accurate without a hands on inspection of the whole gun.
walnutgun
Beginner

Post by walnutgun »

Marlinman93, thanks for the help and reply. Those dates Make it about 110 years old. Wow. The value you quoted is around what I was thinking. Unfortunately, the owner is pretty set on $1450, so I guess I will pass. It is too bad, because most I see on Gun Broker seem to have been refinished and/or reblued at some point. I’d really like to find one of these in good, original condition at a decent price. I don’t care that much about the takedown feature, though this one does lock up tight. The forearm rattles just a bit, but that’s it.

I really value the craftsmanship and history of these old guns. Hopefully I can rescue one at some point. I’d probably actually like an 1893 in 38-55 even more, but would be happy with whatever I could find in good, original condition.

If anyone else has other opinions, comments, or insight please let me know. Thanks!