Fruitless Serial # search

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

obi96
Beginner

Fruitless Serial # search

Post by obi96 »

Hello All,
I don't like asking for help unless I've done some leg work first, but in casual searches over the years, what information I have been able to locate has not helped.
Here's what I do know; I have a 5 round Marlin 32 Special with "Model 1893" on the upper tang. The Serial number on the underside of the frame near the fore grip is D610. That is the only identifying number I can find.
I saw a spreadsheet on a YouTube video about later model Marlins that the "D" may be a month of manufacture mark, D610 doesn't show up as a serial number in anything I've been able to locate so far and from the bits if info I've seen It could have been made anytime between 1906 and 1930, that narrows it down to the last Century I'm pretty sure.
I'm hoping the collective Brain power I've witnessed here reading these forms can shed some light on my conundrum. Thanks
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Fruitless Serial # search

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Obi96;

Through more recent studies of Marlin serial number information, the guns with letter series serial numbers up near the forearm were made during the World War I era. Most of these guns were assembled from parts on hand to keep employees busy between war contracts.
The letter "A' was the 1916/1917 time frame, B = 1917/1918, C = 1918/1919 and D = 1919/1920. The corporations involved were the Marlin Arms Corporation and then Marlin-Rockwell Corporation. They continued to use the Model 1893 designation.
In 1921, the company was sold off to become the Marlin Firearms Corporation and the Model designation was changed from Model 1893 to "Marlin Mod. '93" and the serial number moved back, under the lever.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
obi96
Beginner

Post by obi96 »

@Regnier (gunrunner) I knew I'd come to the right place. I appreciate your time to research my question. Thanks for the answer to my mystery.
I'll assume with the low number it was assembled in 1919 rather than 1920. It's in good condition, any idea if this being a WW1 era 32 Special does anything to the value? not that I'd sell it, but I was offered $700 for it a few years ago. Cheers.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

In most cases earlier serial number 1893's will get more value in equal condition. And the only real difference I see as far as premiums go is for 1893's that are "antique" era serial numbers. People love the 1898, and earlier guns. A WWI era gun has no great significance, and are about the same value as any post 1898 Marlin.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
obi96
Beginner

Post by obi96 »

marlinman93 Thank you for the information.