Montana Vintage Arms Tang Sights?

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

thomasrodco
Beginner

Montana Vintage Arms Tang Sights?

Post by thomasrodco »

Is anyone familiar with Montana Vintage Arms as a source for tang sights for our old guns? I'm interested in getting one for my 1893 38-55.
MVA has a combo hunting/target sight based on the old Marbles sight, and I would like to know if anyone has bought one and what they think of it?
Brent
Sharpshooter

Re: Montana Vintage Arms Tang Sights?

Post by Brent »

I have more MVA sights than I can count. I use them on all my Marlins as well as many other rifles. However, the one I do not have is the Marbles copy. I will say that the rest of their sights are the benchmark for all other sights. They are the gold standard. I would anticipate the same of their Marbles version. However, I generally prefer a Vernier for several reasons.
thomasrodco
Beginner

Post by thomasrodco »

Great news! I have been hoping to find a vintage one, but I’ll probably just go with one of theirs and call it good.
Thanks!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

MVA has fantastic sights, and they listen to customer feedback, and rework their sights to fix issues. Not that they have many! But back when they first came out with a sight designed for the 1893-1894 Marlins, they sat the pivot point closer to the middle, and the bolt contacted the staff when it was used on the 1893 Marlins. A friend of mine called and talked to them to explain what the issue was, and they were somewhat surprised. But they reworked their program to remake the pivot point further back and eliminate the issue. So all their sights work on Marlins with no contact between staff and breechbolt travel now.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
thomasrodco
Beginner

Post by thomasrodco »

Wow, that sounds great. Thanks!