Tang sight and Info for Model 1893 38-55?

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

thomasrodco
Beginner

Tang sight and Info for Model 1893 38-55?

Post by thomasrodco »

Hello, I have a Model 1893, serial #192931 that is chambered in .38-55 which was left to me by my late brother.
I am interested in finding a tang sight for it, as it is already tapped for one.
I have found info stating the .38-55 needs a Lyman stamped with a "J", but I have also found info saying that the J was only for .38-55's that were blackpowder guns, and that the others take the sight stamped "JA".
My rifle does not have "Special Smokeless Steel" stamped on the barrel. It does have "Marlin Safety" on the top of the receiver.
Can someone tell me which sight I'd need, and any info on my rifle, and which version rifle I have?
thank you in advance!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Tang sight and Info for Model 1893 38-55?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Thomasrodco;

The serial number of your Model 1893 puts the manufacture date around 1899, a few years after smokeless powders came out. Since your barrel is not marked "Special Smokeless Steel", your barrel may be a left over soft steel barrel that was made for the black powder guns.
To be safe, I would go with the "J" marked Lyman tang sight. There really is not that much difference between the two sights so a "JA" would probably work just fine. The mounting holes are the same and the only difference would be the stem height adjustment.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
thomasrodco
Beginner

Re: Tang sight and Info for Model 1893 38-55?

Post by thomasrodco »

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.
I am hoping I can find a definitive way of determining if my rifle is a black powder or smokeless, since I want to be able to shoot it, and hopefully buy off the shelf ammo.
Do you know of any other methods of determining which barrel this has beside the "smokeless steel" stamping ?